Great rainbow acans must taste great too

finaddict

I bought a great rainbow Acan frag at incredible corals last weekend and my idiot "reef safe" shrimp has devoured 2 of the 5 polyps. I am frustrated. I set a shrimp trap for him and he has gotten very close but hasn't gone in yet. I hope I wake up to him caught in the water bottle. $75 bucks out the window and my son already asked when we are getting new acans!!! Rant over......

I bought a great rainbow Acan frag at incredible corals last weekend and my idiot "reef safe" shrimp has devoured 2 of the 5 polyps. I am frustrated. I set a shrimp trap for him and he has gotten very close but hasn't gone in yet. I hope I wake up to him caught in the water bottle. $75 bucks out the window and my son already asked when we are getting new acans!!! Rant over......

Taste the rainbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a pair that were labeled as peppermint shrimp at the lfs laser fall. I took the first one out because I saw him eating my favia. He was easy catch in a net. I recently saw a different favia getting picked at but I let it slide. Then the acan feast began this week. Good news is that as of 6am this morning my tank is shrimp free. Downside was my tank temp dropped from 77 to. 75 since I turned off the circulation while the shrimp trap has bait in it.

I find that typically shrimp eat corals when there's some issue with the polyps but rarely eat healthy polyps.

Similar experience here.

Well that is actually concerning. The acans looked incredible and were opening good but I have never owned them before. I did dip them as well. I wonder if I should hold off buying the replacements?

(edited)

I bought 3 peppermint shrimp for my tank once to help rid my tank of aptasia. They began eating my corals 1 by 1 until I caught two of them. After that the remaining one hasn't touched a coral since lol.

The trap does eventually work though as it did very quickly for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jeskay14

The trap worked for this one. It took overnight but he was in there this morning. My acan had 2 of 4 polyps heavily damaged. Do acans heal up or is it hopeless for that frag?

They can heal up in my experience. Make sure your calcium and alkalinity are in check and try to feed them some mysis shrimp.

To feed I turn off all my pumps and use a turkey baster to lay one or two shrimp on each head or lps pellets if you have them. If you do this at night you won't have to chase fish off from stealing the food. I usually feed mine about once a week.