Fluconazole byropisis treatment

stonerjohnson

Starting my first day treating byropsis algea with fluconazole , been fighting this stuff for over a year , did the tech m for 2 months , all it did was slow it down , randomly saw a bunch of people having success using fluconazole so before I tear my tank down I'm gonna give this a try . For anyone battling this stuff you should check out fluconazole, stuff may be the miracle cure for this stuff , wish me luck I keep you posted

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dosed a tank on Monday. Water didn't turn very cloudy and the fish could definitely 'taste' that the water was different. Client hasn't reported any issues. Will post results...

I had minor issues with bryopsis in both my systems.  Mostly growing in between zoanthids and such.   I dosed fluco at about 5 mg / gal.  It worked great will no ill effects on any livestock.  Agreed it is a miracle cure for bryopsis.

I read the same thread and the amount of people that had success to the amount that didnt surprised me. It seemed like someone just stumbled upon it. I should probably order some up myself.

Just a little update , I'm about to hit the 72 hour mark tonight and the bryopsis is turning white like it's about to die

That was my experience. White starting at the tips and slowly works its way down until it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

After 11 days, the Bryopsis was completely gone everywhere in the tank. There was also some small areas with hair algae, and those areas are now free from HA.

I'm going to try the same dose on a tank with HA and see what happens.

I think I'm going to give this a try here soon. Bryopsis is getting out of control in my tank. 

Ive decicided to use this stuff to try to kill off some hair algae since it did it in the bryopsis tank.

Yesterday was first day of treatment.

Looking forward to hearing about how this goes. I saw on R2R that others have noticed that it DOES treat GHA. Good luck with your specific case.

Where do you buy this stuff?

One source is https://payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

Will this kill other plants? I guess it will wipe out Chaetos? How about mangroves?

Reports on r2r seem to indicate that higher order plants, like chaeto, are not affected.

Sent from my phone

Reports on r2r seem to indicate that higher order plants, like chaeto, are not affected.

Sent from my phone

Thanks Tom. Going to give this a try.

Ive decicided to use this stuff to try to kill off some hair algae since it did it in the bryopsis tank.

Yesterday was first day of treatment.

Interested in the outcome.........

Just did about 5mg/gallon, 2x200m, in my 80-90 gallon tank. I only have a few spots of HA and BA.

Well see what happen.

Anyone else have an update who recently dosed?

I had minor issues with bryopsis in both my systems.  Mostly growing in between zoanthids and such.   I dosed fluco at about 5 mg / gal.  It worked great will no ill effects on any livestock.  Agreed it is a miracle cure for bryopsis.

I read in the r2r thread its 5mg / L not gal. Is this a typo or did you really dose so low?

Just did about 5mg/gallon, 2x200m, in my 80-90 gallon tank. I only have a few spots of HA and BA.

I read in the r2r thread its 5mg / L not gal. Is this a typo or did you really dose so low?

The FAQ on R2R says the following (in the first post):

Q: How much Fluconazole do I use?
A: The suggested dose is one SINGLE dose in the amount of 20mg per gallon of water. There are reefers who are experimenting with using 10mg per gallon right now, but none with completing the 1st "round".

So, 5mg/gallon is half a quarter of what was originally recommended.

The FAQ on R2R says the following (in the first post):

Q: How much Fluconazole do I use?

A: The suggested dose is one SINGLE dose in the amount of 20mg per gallon of water. There are reefers who are experimenting with using 10mg per gallon right now, but none with completing the 1st "round".

So, 5mg/gallon is half of what was originally recommended.

Am I stupid or is 5mg/g 1/4 the recommended dose. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Am I stupid or is 5mg/g 1/4 the recommended dose. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No, you're right on. I meant to say that it's half of the experimental dosage. Thanks for catching that.

5mg/gallon is 1/4 of the original dosage and half of the dosage that others were experimenting with. However, given the newness of the technique, 1/4 dosage could be considered experimental as well.

It's interesting that this is a situation where we (as aquarists) make a single dose and just hang back and wait... no continuing dosing; no testing. Then, one day, it's done. At about $1 per 10 gallons, it would be nice to find where the lowest dosage is on this approach for treating large systems. Still, if you're battling Bryopsis or hair algae, $0.10/gallon and a little patience is an incredible bargain if it works every time with few negative side effects!

5mg/gallon is 1/4 of the original dosage and half of the dosage that others were experimenting with. However, given the newness of the technique, 1/4 dosage could be considered experimental as well.

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure of the proper dosage, but it seems like 5mg / gal is working. 

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure of the proper dosage, but it seems like 5mg / gal is working. 

That's great to hear. Are you treating for Bryopsis or hair algae or both?