New NoVA Member

Mostly active on Nano Reef and was recommended that I join here as well. Been reefing for 2-3 years and on my second tank. Currently have a Nuvo 10 that's about 3 months old. Before this I had a drilled 20 long but had to get rid of it when I moved. I live in Manassas and work in Chantilly so not the closest to DC but so far I like the area minus the traffic and rent prices...

(edited)

Welcome. I'm about 15 mins from you. Live in Nokesville.

Thanks. Any recommendations for good fish stores around here? So far I've gone to a couple but not sure what other ones are close to here. 

Capital Aquariums - Affordable but make sure to dip anything you get from there

Incredible Corals and Artfully Acrylic - Chris is great and prices are alright.

Reef Escape - Really like how they quarantine. Service is great but coral prices are very high. 

[Edit]

Just had a quick question about the whole membership thing. So do you need to pay just to create threads and pretty much use the entire forum or is it just a post limit minimum?

Edited by VW_TDI_02

welcome to wamas and hope to see you as a member of our family here soon. if you have any questions and/or need any help, feel free to PM us on here, on instagram @exoticreefcreations, or on facebook. always glad to assist when we can!

Edited by monkiboy

Hi VW. Welcome to WAMAS. Many of our members are from here in Virginia, but we've also got members in DC, MD, PA, WV, and even a few other states (and countries). WAMAS is among the largest, most active clubs in the nation.

There's a link in my signature below that is from a (now retired) member that talked about the benefits of membership. Take a look at it and see what you think. We've got a meeting coming up in less than two weeks and it'll be in Oakton, just off of 66. Try to make it out if you can. If you're a member by then, admission is free (saving you $5 right off the bat). Dues help us bring in quality speakers from around the country, like this quarter's guest, James Fatherree, who will speak to us about giant clams (Tridacna spp.) in the aquarium.

Anyway, welcome. I hope that you'll enjoy your stay and become an active participant here.

Welcome. I'm just up the street from you in Centreville. We have quite a bit of members within a 15 min drive of you.

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I definitely want to check out quantum aquariums. Exotic reefs is a bit far so I'd have to make a trip checking out multiple MD shops. I'm going to check out this forum a bit more and probably start a build thread in the Nano Reef section for my IM Nuvo 10. Heading down to NC for the weekend so probably won't be until next week. Only issue with frag swaps is that I'll always want more frags meaning I need a larger tank to accommodate them and so on and so on. We all know how rabbit hole ends up...

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I definitely want to check out quantum aquariums. Exotic reefs is a bit far so I'd have to make a trip checking out multiple MD shops. I'm going to check out this forum a bit more and probably start a build thread in the Nano Reef section for my IM Nuvo 10. Heading down to NC for the weekend so probably won't be until next week. Only issue with frag swaps is that I'll always want more frags meaning I need a larger tank to accommodate them and so on and so on. We all know how rabbit hole ends up...

I'm nearing the end of the rabbit hole having gone to my second swap :^) can't wait to see your tank thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, ended up copying a bit of my thread over here and adding some more to keep it up to date. Lights are currently out in the tank so I don't have any new pictures but I did update the thread a bit with some explanations. I hope y'all enjoy the thread. The link is now in my sig. the tank is only about 1.5 months old since the cycle was complete so the corals are still pretty small. I'm hoping the red monti and the grafted monti start plating out. I can see a bit of growth on the red monti off to the left which is a good sign. Currently still going through the diatoms phase but I'm sure it will go away in the next few weeks. I am getting some solid coraline algae growth which is pretty promising.