Latest test readings in my new tank - please comment

larryag59

Did my first water test on 12/31/16 after 10 days of cycling using live arragonite, sea water (purchased) and one damsel No live rock. Here are the readings, to the best of my judgment, using color-coded testing kit.  Tank is 14g BioCube (about 10g actual water after rock & sand).

Please comment after latest test, dated 01/07/17:

12/31/16

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.25 PPM

Nitrites: 0 PPM

Nitrates: 0 PPM

01/07/17

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.5 PPM

Nitrites: 0 PPM

Nitrates: 0 PPM

I'd say your cycle hasn't started.  For the sake of the damsel in there I'd get some Prime soon to detoxify your growing ammonia concentration and consider starting water changes if it hasn't changed when ammonia gets up to 1ppm.  You might think about getting some bottled bacteria like Dr Tims or Seachem Stability or similar to get it going faster.  The live aragonite sand doesn't seem to do much, from what I've seen.  

For what it's worth, I've had a tank cycling since mid October and am not quite ready to put fish in it yet, so you're going pretty fast with a fish in yours.

Went to my LFS and got some bacteria and dosed the tank.  Was also advised not to do a water change yet, as this would slow down the cycling process.

On a different note, I noticed the first physical change in the tank since starting it - some of the white aragonite has turned brownish.  Is this algae?

Went to my LFS and got some bacteria and dosed the tank. Was also advised not to do a water change yet, as this would slow down the cycling process.

On a different note, I noticed the first physical change in the tank since starting it - some of the white aragonite has turned brownish. Is this algae?

It could be algae or a bacteria that is not the same as a nitrogen cycle bacteria.

But you really should get a small piece of live rock to get it going even if it is just a few pieces of rubble it will help a ton.. Those bottled bacterias are a terrestrial bacteria that will not do you any good. It's just a band-aid to the real problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by sethsolomon

My LFS is over 1/2 hour away, so going back for a piece of rock is not tempting.  I might try to get a piece from someone I met while looking to be a used tank a while back. Hoping that the bacteria works in the meanwhile.  

Brown stuff is probably diatoms. First step in a starting cycle of tank ugliness that usually also includes cyanobacteria and hair algae. Google around for sites that talk about new saltwater tank phases, and you'll find the descriptions to be pretty consistent.

And Seth is right. A small chunk of rock from someone's established tank would help a lot and would have stuff in the biofilm all over it that isn't in the bottle. Doesn't have to be a fish store. If you said where you are located I bet you'd find a local wamas member who has some in their sump that would let you have some for free.

I can speak to a true live rock helping the cycle. I too was cycling with live sand, sea water, and man-made live rock thinking it would be a quick 1 week cycle. I ended up stalling on just Nitrites for a week. I got a Fiji live rock from my LFS and next day my cycle was almost done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cant get "live rock" a quality bottled bacteria, circulation and a media will work just as well; and it will seed your incoming dry sand, or dry rock. 

Reef cycling has changed since the 80's, you should be fine with the over-the counter/online products to get you started successfully.

Larryag59, where are you located? You might be near someone that would give you a piece of live rock to get things going a bit.

I just bit the bullet and went to Glen Burnie to pick up a piece.  After so many suggestions to get some I wanted to get it done and did. Just put it in my tank a little while ago.

By the way, I am planning on being out of town and won't be able to feed the fish (one damsel) for 2-3 days.  Any suggestions?

@larryag59 I am a little obsessive with testing. I tested daily and saw the ammonia spike, then decrease --> Nitrite spike, then decrease --> Nitrate 10-20ppm.  It was done cycling when my ammonia and nitrite was reading zero even after I dosed a bit more ammonia. It quickly converted over to Nitrate.

Your Damsel will be fine without food for 2-3 days. I would feed right before you leave.

What are your current water parameters by the way?