Local builder for steel stands?

Thai

The problem that most people who can weld seem to quickly find is that your typical reefer doesn't want to pay enough for the time it takes to do it to make it worthwhile to offer it as a service.  

Also, welding an aquarium stand seems simple, but it isn't easy to do.  The final product needs to be perfectly flat and level, but when you weld it takes a great deal of skill or afterwork to get it to all line up.  The welds heat the metal and as it cools it often warps out of shape.

All this is to say, that the question comes up from time to time, so if someone turns up a lead on a welder that is willing to do nice stands on a regular basis please let the club know.

Alan i agree. I can do it but like you said its very time consuming and most dont wanna pay for the time involved. In the next few months im building a new stand for this horrible marineland deep dimension stand. Ill try to do a stand build thread if time allows

Wrench is a member that is very skilled in this trade. Not sure how active he is on the forum or if he still builds stands. He has in the past, predominately posted on CMAS.

In terms of what to expect to pay... Exponentially more than you would think for a quality product.

Talking to a gentleman now, curious though what should one expect to pay for a 7x2 simple box stand?

Taking an educated guess here:

Just for material, low carbon steel 1" tube with 1/8" walls would be probably $350 including consumables.  Then it might take someone a whole 8 hour day of work to build one if it isn't something that they're doing in large quantities (meaning they don't have all the jigs and clamps and such already set up).  If you figure $30-40 per hour for that kind of work you get another $320 (which might be low again because if they don't do it regularly they will have to order in supplies or go pick them up and schlep them around to a shop etc...).

So a rough guess from me would be at least $700, and likely more than that.

Anyone who has done one before, I'd be curious if that's in the ballpark.

Taking an educated guess here:

Just for material, low carbon steel 1" tube with 1/8" walls would be probably $350 including consumables. Then it might take someone a whole 8 hour day of work to build one if it isn't something that they're doing in large quantities (meaning they don't have all the jigs and clamps and such already set up). If you figure $30-40 per hour for that kind of work you get another $320 (which might be low again because if they don't do it regularly they will have to order in supplies or go pick them up and schlep them around to a shop etc...).

So a rough guess from me would be at least $700, and likely more than that.

Anyone who has done one before, I'd be curious if that's in the ballpark.

Seems a good ballpark to me for a ruffed in product. Unless you had hookups.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a few pieces of 2" box that I was saving for an in-wall DD set up that isn't happening anymore. PM the dimensions and i'll quote you a price to build the stand. You'll need to powder coat or paint.

• 1 year later...

I am looking to have a steel frame built for my new tank. Can someone give me a price? I'd like it powder coated as well. 5"L x 36"D x 30"H Rough measurement for the height, not sure yet now tall I need the stand.

Not sure this is the right palce to put this so I might put in it in its own thread.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

I am looking to have a steel frame built for my new tank. Can someone give me a price? I'd like it powder coated as well. 5"L x 36"D x 30"H Rough measurement for the height, not sure yet now tall I need the stand.

Not sure this is the right palce to put this so I might put in it in its own thread.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Try reaching out to the sources listed in this thread. This particular forum (General Forum) isn't the place to request quotes....