Hi!

mari.harutunian

(edited)

98373f45df6a16aef0c35054fb848823.jpg

This is my tank so far. It's a 36 gallon fluval m-90 with 2 clownfish, a sixline wrasse, 2 Hawaiian feather dusters, hermits, and snails. I found this club because I realized a reefer I liked on YouTube was actually local and is part of this club. I got most of my corals from the MDRC frag swap in PA(I bought far too much). One of my favorites is the Hollywood stunner chalice I got for $5. It is about 4" in diameter and roughly circular. 1954f89b090dd464497d9ac1cb18444c.jpg21d83bf797caf9d668e1f05424a16686.jpg

One of my biggest mistakes so far was purchasing a $15 bubbletip anemone. It's already been through the powerhead once....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mari.harutunian

Welcome. I find turning the power heads off at night help with that. As long as you have something else like a return pump creating surface agitation. Or a hob filter

Edited by Joshifer

Welcome to the hobby.

Typically you want your tank to mature more before adding a nem. I built a cage around my powerhead using black mesh from a craft store and gutter guard from the hardware store. It's held together using zip ties. Below is a pic of the guard. Nems can also wonder around and sting your corals so be careful.

Another thing to watch for is that sixline. It may end up going after your feather duster.

IMG 20160305 162655

Welcome to the hobby.

Typically you want your tank to mature more before adding a nem. I built a cage around my powerhead using black mesh from a craft store and gutter guard from the hardware store. It's held together using zip ties. Below is a pic of the guard. Nems can also wonder around and sting your corals so be careful.

Another thing to watch for is that sixline. It may end up going after your feather duster.

Yeah. I knew that before buying the anemone... I should've let it be. Currently the anemone is in a little plastic container with holes on top of the rocks. I didn't know sixlines went after dusters. So far all he's done is kill every pod in sight. If the sixline has been getting along with the dusters and they show no sign of bit feathers, is it okay to assume he will never bother them? The dusters are one of my favorite additions.

In order for the anemone to thrive, it should really be placed on a rock and allowed to find a place it likes. It's unfortunately not always where we want it to stay. With sufficient light, flow and water quality it will settle in place and be happy. IMHO you should make a decision if you want to keep it or get rid of. If you keep it, I would cover the powerhead. If it gets shredded it can release stinging cells into the water column that can hurt your other livestock. It can also cause a tank to crash, especially smaller tanks.

All fish have their own personality. It may be safe until one day it turns on it. Its' a risk that may or may not happen. Just wanted to mention it so you wouldn't be surprised one day. Many of us take risks and just adapt to what works well in our tanks.

BTW your tank is coming along nicely. Looks like you made away with some nice corals at the frag swap.

In order for the anemone to thrive, it should really be placed on a rock and allowed to find a place it likes. It's unfortunately not always where we want it to stay. With sufficient light, flow and water quality it will settle in place and be happy. IMHO you should make a decision if you want to keep it or get rid of. If you keep it, I would cover the powerhead. If it gets shredded it can release stinging cells into the water column that can hurt your other livestock. It can also cause a tank to crash, especially smaller tanks.

All fish have their own personality. It may be safe until one day it turns on it. Its' a risk that may or may not happen. Just wanted to mention it so you wouldn't be surprised one day. Many of us take risks and just adapt to what works well in our tanks.

BTW your tank is coming along nicely. Looks like you made away with some nice corals at the frag swap.

Just to clarify, the anemone is on the rocks and the plastic container with holes is on top of the anemone because I can't afford having it move before I get a powerhead cover. I will invest in a cover and do my best to take care of the anemone and keep my water stable/ keep corals out of the way. I knew it was a risk but I figured since I see my tank 24/7 I could avert disaster most times and it was only 15 dollars. Should've just waited. Could've just gone to the frag swap next year or even a in winter bc those few months might make a difference.

Welcome... what kind of lights are you running on this?

Also, (in my opinion) you have come to the right place, there are a lot of people in this hobby that just say, No don't do this, no you can't do that but here, people are really good at explaining why as well as giving alternative suggestions. 

Welcome... what kind of lights are you running on this?

Also, (in my opinion) you have come to the right place, there are a lot of people in this hobby that just say, No don't do this, no you can't do that but here, people are really good at explaining why as well as giving alternative suggestions.

Hi, I'm running fluval Sea gen 2 LEDs.

Welcome to the hobby.

Typically you want your tank to mature more before adding a nem. I built a cage around my powerhead using black mesh from a craft store and gutter guard from the hardware store. It's held together using zip ties. Below is a pic of the guard. Nems can also wonder around and sting your corals so be careful.

This is rad!

welcome to WAMAS, let us know if we can be of any help!

Does WAMAS ever have meetings? How do I find out the times and places?

Hi Mary. We announce meetings in the Club News forum. We meet quarterly and bring a speaker in for every meeting. For the last few years, we've alternated between MD and VA. Meetings are free to supporting WAMAS members and are $5 for non-members and guests. You should really consider joining WAMAS as a supporting member at $20 a year. Click on the link in my signature for the many benefits of membership. (For example, you only see a fraction of what's posted here as you are unable, as a BB Member, to see our members only areas (which includes our sale, WTB, trade, and auction forums).) To join immediately, follow this link:  http://www.wamas.org/join.php.

The next meeting is scheduled for February and we're flying author and giant clam expert James Fatherree in as our speaker. I hope that you'll join us!

Hi Mary. We announce meetings in the Club News forum. We meet quarterly and bring a speaker in for every meeting. For the last few years, we've alternated between MD and VA. Meetings are free to supporting WAMAS members and are $5 for non-members and guests. You should really consider joining WAMAS as a supporting member at $20 a year. Click on the link in my signature for the many benefits of membership. (For example, you only see a fraction of what's posted here as you are unable, as a BB Member, to see our members only areas (which includes our sale, WTB, trade, and auction forums).) To join immediately, follow this link: http://www.wamas.org/join.php.

The next meeting is scheduled for February and we're flying author and giant clam expert James Fatherree in as our speaker. I hope that you'll join us!

Are they in public locations? If not there's no way I can attend alone which is going to happen the majority of the time.

Are they in public locations? If not there's no way I can attend alone which is going to happen the majority of the time.

Yes, typically in schools. Take a look at the Club News forum to see where our past meetings have been. The last few years, we've bounced between North Bethesda Middle School and Oakton High School. The next one is at Oakton.

• 2 weeks later...

Mari, welcome! I'm a beginner too, and have been planning a tank for several months. (in this sense, you're well ahead of me ;) ). That being said, I will make a tank thread once I have a tank and all my stuff...... :)

Nice to meet you! I look forward to seeing how your tank turns out!