Long Spine Urchin Removal

sen5241b

How do you pull a long pine urchin off the rock without stabbing your hand, causing an avalanche or hurting the urchin?

I have a lot of medium sized rock in my tank and pulling the urchin will pull the rock. I tried pulling it off and the little critter has a strong grip.

And maybe there is no magic method here, no?

could you maybe wrap up an algae sheet into a little pencil and try slipping it under it?  Maybe it would grab on to that instead of holding the rock so tightly and start munching which would let you get something under it.

Just grab it, it won't hurt you unless you slam your hand onto it.  I usually just grab spines until I find the right one and lift it out.  It will start to move quickly once you start pulling and this will make it easier to lift it.

I will give it another try. I was reluctant to grab it because once while scuba diving in Hawaii at night. I grabbed a rock to hold onto and put my hand right down on a long spine urchin. It took half a year to work the spines out of my flesh.

How did you finally get him?

He was on a small rock so I picked him and the rock up and then used both hands to pry the rock and urchin apart --being careful not to grip so hard that the spines stick into my hand.