Pygmy angel

Joshifer

I saw the cutest pigmy cherub angel. At some LFS in Rockville today. It was half an inch. Live Aquaria says they max out at 3in. Yellow face blue body.

But it says reef comp with caution.

Any horror stories about Pygmy angels anyone can share?

Edited by Joshifer

Pygmy angels can be hit or miss. Some nip at SPS and stuff, others don't. It seems to be an individual thing. Personally, I'm cautious about taking fish that small/young. But that's just me. Others may have more experience with taking in obviously very young fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had them a couple times. I love them, but they are really feisty and obnoxious. Not aggressive as far as nipping, but have no boundaries and will annoy the heck out of other fish and disrupt everyone's territory.

Both times I gave them up for being too intimidating. I never saw any coral nipping. I would definitely consider getting another one if I had a big enough tank that it wouldn't upset any other fish, but even a 75 seemed too small.

They need a much larger tank than what vendor sites say. I would not keep one in less than 40 gallons, and not with any slow or timid fish.

Edited by treesprite

Pygmy angels can be hit or miss. Some nip at SPS and stuff, others don't. It seems to be an individual thing. Personally, I'm cautious about taking fish that small/young. But that's just me. Others may have more experience with taking in obviously very young fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I want something ornamental that stays out. My gramma and fire fish hide all the time in their holes. Clowns are out and their everywhere. But i wanted a fat centerpiece fish.

I've had them a couple times. I love them, but they are really feisty and obnoxious. Not aggressive as far as nipping, but have no boundaries and will annoy the heck out of other fish and disrupt everyone's territory.

They need a much larger tank than what vendor sites say. I would not keep one in less than 40 gallons, and not with any slow or timid fish.

Oh no can't have that. Everyone has their territory. Shrimp gramma fire fish. Clowns used to pester them. They quickly learned. Don't mess with them lol.

And my coral banded is the devil theirs a trial of hermit bones all around his cave. He doesn't eat them just kills them if they go by his cave. Time for him to go.

Listen dwarf Angel fish are the biggest assholes in the hobby lol. I swear my Flame back Angel has caused so much terroir in my tank and I have a 105 gallon 4ft tank. In my opinion to keep the peace they need 6ft tanks. I actually saw one fellow reefer keep 2 in a 125 with no fighting. I think cause of the length they have that more space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a cherub that nipped at gorgs and GSP... neat little fish, but nipped and also very feisty as said above..

Also hate to be that guy, but 4 fish is max in your tank IMO.. if you wanted a fish that was out and around there are some options, but not with what you have already...

I had a cherub that nipped at gorgs and GSP... neat little fish, but nipped and also very feisty as said above..

Also hate to be that guy, but 4 fish is max in your tank IMO.. if you wanted a fish that was out and around there are some options, but not with what you have already...

Yeah I ain't adding anything else. I really don't like anything else. Well what I do like I can't have. Tangs. Triggers.

I'll just have lots and lots of coral

Look into fairy wrasses, like a carpenter or tricolor. I had a tricolor in my office tank who was awesome until my tank crashed :( He was always flitting about and didn't bother either my clown pair or a randall goby I had in there. They stay fairly small, are active, and are generally considered reef safe.

+1 I love my tricolor, he's a fat little pig. Really personable and out begging all the time; seems to be much hardier than carpenters/flashers I've had in the past too.