Tank cooling options

John-Solo

So as some of you know and have helped donate items (Thank you all!) I have set up a 14 gal biocube tank at my medic station. The tank is coming along great, fish and corals look happy but the tank is running worm 81.3'f. Iv opened the front of the hood and have the 2 hood fans running, the lights are on a 10 hour cycle with the blues on for the whole 10 and the whites on for the 4 in the middle but it's still a little worm. I don't have the funds for a chiller so does anyone have other suggestions or a chiller they would like to donate? 03b6f77a0cd324b95eb70b046fd0359b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by John-Solo

I personally think 81-82f is fine. Sorry I don't have any other recommendation unless you can get a small fan to blow across the top of the water. 

I will go hoodless when I can get a suitable light for the tank. I'll try drilling some holes in the hood and installing another fan for now.

I will go hoodless when I can get a suitable light for the tank. I'll try drilling some holes in the hood and installing another fan for now.

If it is maxing at 81° there isnt anything to worry about. Certainly no reason to go drilling holes, removing canopies, or any other measures.

If it is maxing at 81° there isnt anything to worry about. Certainly no reason to go drilling holes, removing canopies, or any other measures.

Iv seen it go as high as 82.4 but it's usually in the 81ish range. The live stock looks ok, I havnt seen any major signs of distress. the clowns hide behind the big rock most the day that's about it.

Is this an old Biocube with power compact (PC) fluorescents? The old PCs used to generate enough heat to drive the temp up in my old BC29 to 80-82 degrees on a typical day. The temperature swings would go from like 78 to 82 day in and day out. 81 degrees can be high for some species, but it's tolerable for many. What is your low temperature (before the lights go on)? Are you sure that your thermometer is giving you an accurate temperature? That is, is it calibrated against a known reference?

I personally wouldn't worry much about it if your livestock looks reasonable. And, if that's the tank up above, things do look reasonable.