Recharging a Chiller

davelin315

Anyone have any experience recharging old chillers?  I have an old Aqualogic 1/5HP chiller and it no longer cools.  I've seen a number of different threads out there in other forums giving advice for how to do this and I purchased an automotive recharge kit but have no experience with this myself.  This unit is otherwise functional (at least it was) and I'm planning on adding it to the Seahorse Exhibit at the Lab.  If anyone is able to do this, it's currently in my car and I could either bring it to you or if you wanted to swing by the Lab (Fair Oaks Mall, Fairfax, VA) we could do it there.  In the alternative, if you know of a place that will do this for a reasonable amount let me know.  Vendors, if you provide this service, please shoot me a PM letting me know!

If this is anything like automotive AC, you'll need to know (1) type and ounces of refrigerant the system holds; and (2) type and ounces of lubricating oil to add with the refrigerant.  You'll also need a vacuum pump to evacuate the system.

Does yours have two capped shrader valve service ports, like a car AC?  If you provide the details on refrigerant and oil, you could likely take it to an automotive service station.  They can draw a vacuum and add the refrigerant and oil.

None of this addresses why the original refrigerant leaked out in the first place.  If it's a big leak, you'll be right back where you started. If that's the case, I'd jump straight to buying a new chiller.

Better find out how bad leak is first. Only good thing is all the copper piping should be in chiller so not like finding leak in your house. Whether or not you can access the spot where the pipe is would be another thing. And like mentioned above would have to find what refrigerant and oil the manufacture uses. Then depending on which one could be costly.

It says R-134a which is what they sell in automotive stores.  This one is pretty old, can attempt to see where it leaked out if I can get anything into the system.  There are two shrader valves on it so the directions I have found online seem to be fine.  Not sure where it leaked out, but considering how old it is could just simply be a slow leak over the years.

It should have sharder valves. A high port and low port.

You will need a ac evac machine to suck out old and install new.

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm probally just talking.

But you need to find out how many lbs it holds. There will be a sticker on it. It will say how we many Oz and how much pag oil goes in it. Once you find that take it to any repair shop and they can suck it down and recharge it. Shouldn't cost you much at all if you can't find anyone. Pm me. I can further assist you in getting it done. Now if you have a leak you will have to find the leak there's special oil that's uv detected it will pick up on to find the leak.

But please do not just empty it out by pushing the valve it's very bad for the ozone.

Wouldn't do that (releasing it) although the amount that might still be in there would be negligible. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there, though, as it turns on and does nothing so I'm assuming it all leaked out.

Hey Jon, that's the biggest hanging point right now.  I don't have a vacuum pump and don't want to attach it to my compressor as that would take some messing around with it and if there is refrigerant in there, I don't want to suck it into my compressor.

Dave that is the only way. Evacuate, inject leak detector, charge with C02. Look for escaping die. A a should never lose its charge. I is a sealed system.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

I don't know how soon you need it but if you can get it to Stafford and leave it with me I will look at it. I'm an HVAC tech but I've been reluctant to reply to this thread because I recently moved (locally) and I'm up to my eyeballs in work so I didn't want to make any promises...but if you think you can leave it here for a week or two I can fit it in. I can leak check, braze any cracks/leaks and recharge for free.

There is the possibility that it doesn't have a leak and that the compressor is just worn out. They have reed valves that can get weak/leaky. So if it needed something like that then you'd have to decide if you want to buy a compressor but I wouldn't charge to replace it. 

I don't know how soon you need it but if you can get it to Stafford and leave it with me I will look at it. I'm an HVAC tech but I've been reluctant to reply to this thread because I recently moved (locally) and I'm up to my eyeballs in work so I didn't want to make any promises...but if you think you can leave it here for a week or two I can fit it in. I can leak check, braze any cracks/leaks and recharge for free.

There is the possibility that it doesn't have a leak and that the compressor is just worn out. They have reed valves that can get weak/leaky. So if it needed something like that then you'd have to decide if you want to buy a compressor but I wouldn't charge to replace it. 

:thumbsup: Darn nice offer.

Hey Rob, will touch base, I don't get to the Stafford area very often anymore (used to be there all the time for soccer but my daughter changed leagues and we don't have any opponents in that area now).

I used to be an HVAC service tech- take the chiller to any HVAC shop and ask them how much it will cost to do the job correctly. As Rob mentioned, the compressors have reed valves which wear out after a number of years and it may be that time. Having an incorrectly sized chiller can lead to premature failure due to rapid cycling in order to keep the temp low.

Cost of repair/service might warrant a new chiller....