Power Outage Preperation

jon_703

So I'm running an overflow box and I was wondering how I can be prepared in case of a power outage. My biggest fear is my whole floor flooding.

Obviously the return pump will shut off but the overflow box will keep flowing because it's going off a siphon. Any ideas?

Thanks!

the overflow box will stop siphon once the overflow water level fall below the overflow box teeth.

test your sump to make sure it can handle the water volume when power out ( I think I mentioned it in your earlier post).

anyway, turn off the return pump and let it sit a few minutes to see if it overflow the sump. If water reaches the rim of the sump, you're in trouble :)

Just kidding, just turn it back on and raise the inner overflow box. make sure you drill a hole under the return nozzle to break the back siphon on the return line.

haha DUH, I'll do that when I get home. Where should I drill a hole on the return line?

I'm going to get a "U-Neck"? to connect to the return tube. Right now I have the tube going straight into my tank :/ lol.

haha DUH, I'll do that when I get home. Where should I drill a hole on the return line?

I'm going to get a "U-Neck"? to connect to the return tube. Right now I have the tube going straight into my tank :/ lol.

small hole underneath the return nozzle (loc-line). and remember to clean it often.

A couple of things here that relate to power outages:

1) Does your sump have enough extra, unused capacity in it to take on the water from the tank until the water level falls below the overflow weir? If not, this is a system design flaw that you need to correct. (Otherwise you'll have a flood.)

2) Will your overflow restart after a power failure? Many are designed to do so, but some don't. If the overflow can't restart, then you have to have enough extra capacity in the tank to take on water that's being pumped up from the sump (otherwise you'll have a flood). 

In #2 above, if the siphon doesn't restart (or if it becomes clogged), you may wind up burning out the return pump as it'll pump until the sump chamber that it's in is nearly dry.

You can drill the hole just above the water line so you can see if it is clean or not by how fast the water come out from the hole.

• 4 weeks later...

You can drill the hole just above the water line so you can see if it is clean or not by how fast the water come out from the hole.

How small should the hole be?

I bought a return flow head, I guess it's called, it has a hole but it's under the water line. So should water be coming out of the hole above the water line?

the hole is for the air to get in the pipe to break the water siphoning. under or over is not matter the hole shows where you want the water level in your tank. Hope it helps

(edited)

It depends on whether you prefer to have your water line just below the hole... or above it.  

If you set the high of your overflow box so that the water line is just below the hole, then yes, you will always see a little water coming out of it.

If you want your waterline to be above the hole, then you need to make sure there is enough spare room in your sump to hold the water that siphons back down your return line until the water level drops to that little hole and the air that gets in breaks the siphon.

Edited by malacoda

It depends on whether you prefer to have your water line just below the hole... or above it.

If you set the high of your overflow box so that the water line is just below the hole, then yes, you will always see a little water coming out of it.

If you want your waterline to be above the hole, then you need to make sure there is enough spare room in your sump to hold the water that siphons back down your return line until the water level drops to that little hole and the air that gets in breaks the siphon.

That kind you both. I like my water line above the rim of the tank so it doesn't show. The hole is below the black rim. Can i just make another hole?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

(edited)

That kind you both. I like my water line above the rim of the tank so it doesn't show. The hole is below the black rim. Can i just make another hole?

You can put the hole anywhere you want provided it doesnt start shooting water above your normal water line (there is minimal pressure coming out of the hole and it doesnt need to be any larger that 1/8"). That being said, the only time the water level is going to be below these holes is when it back siphons; it wont make any difference in your water level while the return pump is operational. 

Edited by madweazl

You can put the hole anywhere you want provided it doesnt start shooting water above your normal water line (there is minimal pressure coming out of the hole and it doesnt need to be any larger that 1/8"). That being said, the only time the water level is going to be below these holes is when it back siphons; it wont make any difference in your water level while the return pump is operational.

And the hole or holes SHOULD siphon back into the sump right?

Do you know if the eshopps overflow box utbes will restart after a power outage?

Can you post of a pic of your setup? The lines bringing the sump water back to the tank are what you want to vent so they cant start a back siphon (inside of the display). The drain from the display to the sump you dont want to mess with. 

Drain = water draining to sump

Return = water returning to aquarium from the sump

Red arrow = where you would drill a hole somewhere below the water line in the aquarium to prevent back siphon (the "drain" wont back siphon by design)

50g2_zpsdtlhd7pa.jpg

Can you post of a pic of your setup? The lines bringing the sump water back to the tank are what you want to vent so they cant start a back siphon (inside of the display). The drain from the display to the sump you dont want to mess with.

Just posted.

(edited)

I would drill the hole in the black return line just below the current water level and facing toward the front of the tank. When the power is cut, the water will back siphon down that black line and as soon as it hits the hole, the siphon will break because air is entering the line (not as soon but very shortly after). 

Edit: if that is a vent line coming from the sponge in the overflow box, you do not want it in the same chamber as the U-tube that connects the in tank box to the out of tank box (it can suck the water out of the box the U-tube is in which may break the siphon on the U-tube which is bad, very bad). 

Edited by madweazl

I would drill the hole in the black return line just below the current water level and facing toward the front of the tank. When the power is cut, the water will back siphon down that black line and as soon as it hits the hole, the siphon will break because air is entering the line (not as soon but very shortly after).

Will do.

Should the overflow box kick back in when power comes on? It's running off a siphon, so not sure if it'll kick pack up.

As long as the greenish line (bottom of U-tube) is below the red line (assuming there is a divider between these two chambers), yes, it will start back up automatically. 

over2_zps6mckkurt.jpg

As long as the greenish line (bottom of U-tube) is below the red line (assuming there is a divider between these two chambers), yes, it will start back up automatically.

over2_zps6mckkurt.jpg

Yeah mine has the divider. Good to know. Thanks!

Remember though, if that piece of airline coming out of the chamber with the sponge and goes into the chamber with the u-tube, there is a possibility that it will siphon the water out of the u-tube chamber making it so it cant drain. When that happens, the tank fills up until your sump is dry which sometimes means all over your floor. Keep that airline out of the u-tube chamber :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok everyone,

So I am going away for 4 days and was wondering if it's safe to just turn off the return pump, in sump skimmer and overflow box. I'm worried about power going out and coming home to a disaster. 

So, is it ok to have it turned off for 4 days?

It's definitely not ideal. If everything is setup properly, there should be really no difference between turning your return pump off before you leave and if it goes off with a power outage. I personally have a battery back up on just for peace of mind.

If you decide to turn it off I would have multiple power heads going to keep the water oxygenated.

It's definitely not ideal. If everything is setup properly, there should be really no difference between turning your return pump off before you leave and if it goes off with a power outage. I personally have a battery back up on just for peace of mind.

If you decide to turn it off I would have multiple power heads going to keep the water oxygenated.

I just don't know if my overflow box will kick back on because it's run off a siphon I created.

I will leave everything else running obviously like powerheads and lights.

Unplug the pump and see what will happen while you are there. You could have a quick outage at work and if your tank is not ready for it your going to have issues. It's best to do it while your there, looking at it

I just don't know if my overflow box will kick back on because it's run off a siphon I created.

I will leave everything else running obviously like powerheads and lights.