Return pump question

jon_703

If you don't want to drill. Run the second drain "emergency" into the middle chamber. make a stand pipe (drain) in the overflow box a bit higher than the main drain. That way it only drain in case of blockage on the main drain.

BTW were you able to increase the flow on the single drain? I used HOB ways back and only way to get more flow on a 1" drain is to get full siphon and it not easy to do with this type of overflow box design. Also, type of bulkhead and pipe varies the flow as well (but not a whole lot). schedule 80 has thicker wall so inner diameter is smaller than the inner diameter of the schedule 40. I like furniture grade pipe for drain, but it is a bit noisier than the schedule 40.

I did it!!! Now im waiting on rodi water to filer so i can top it off. Phewww

2f99ba790cb7d37be10d7c5882cea2cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I notice you are using clear hoses for you plumbing. Are you plan on having a refugium in that middle chamber? if you do, keep an eye on those hoses and clean them out often as algae will grow inside those hose quite easy.

Nice! I notice you are using clear hoses for you plumbing. Are you plan on having a refugium in that middle chamber? if you do, keep an eye on those hoses and clean them out often as algae will grow inside those hose quite easy.

Hmm didn't know that. What hose would you recommend to minimize algae? And im thinking of a skimmer, i have a hob for now but will get an in sump skimmer eventually. A refugium would be better?

It worked!!! Lol

You'll be doing this as part of your periodic maintenance in the future. The extra warmth of the pump tends to cause calcium carbonate (scale) to form on things like impeller magnets, shafts, heaters, etc. Vinegar (or any acid) dissolves it.

You'll be doing this as part of your periodic maintenance in the future. The extra warmth of the pump tends to cause calcium carbonate (scale) to form on things like impeller magnets, shafts, heaters, etc. Vinegar (or any acid) dissolves it.

Roger that! My tank has been without light all day since ive been working ln this. It should be fine right? :/

Im using on u-tube right now. Seems to be doing the job. is a second necessary?

The water flow is a little loud. :/

Is there a little plastic piece that has some airline tubing with the skimmer. That is probably blocked causing the no bubbles

Roger that! My tank has been without light all day since ive been working ln this. It should be fine right? :/

Yes. Believe it or not, there are cloudy days on the reef in nature. 

The water flow is a little loud. :/

Is the pump loud or is it the water draining into the sump that's loud?

Skimmer isn't producing bubbles

There should be a piece of air line running into the pump near the intake. This is how air gets sucked in. If it's clogged, or if the airline is disconnected, or if the open end is in the water, then air won't be drawn into the pump and you won't have bubbles. If the pump is not running full speed, you might find that you're not producing bubbles. I'd first check to make sure that the airline is clear and, if necessary, dip the open end of it in the water to see if it has any suction. If not, then check for an obstruction and clear it.

Hmm didn't know that. What hose would you recommend to minimize algae? And im thinking of a skimmer, i have a hob for now but will get an in sump skimmer eventually. A refugium would be better?

Get an in sump skimmer. Refugium is not necessary. Also, you don't have to worry about algae growing in the tube :)

Im using on u-tube right now. Seems to be doing the job. is a second necessary?

If you're satisfy with the flow then no need for second u-tube.

There should be a piece of air line running into the pump near the intake. This is how air gets sucked in. If it's clogged, or if the airline is disconnected, or if the open end is in the water, then air won't be drawn into the pump and you won't have bubbles. If the pump is not running full speed, you might find that you're not producing bubbles. I'd first check to make sure that the airline is clear and, if necessary, dip the open end of it in the water to see if it has any suction. If not, then check for an obstruction and clear it.

Sorry for the late response. The pump is fairly quiet, i just need to push it down to suction it better thats all.

The sound is also coming from the overflow box. It makes a gurgling sound. Makes me feel that the siphon will stop lol.

The air line hose is clear and there is suction. Maybe the pump is working at its full capacity. Hmmm

Is there a little plastic piece that has some airline tubing with the skimmer. That is probably blocked causing the no bubbles

Airline tube seems clear....

What's the salinity of the water?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What's the salinity of the water?

Ahhhhh 1.018!!! Bringing it up now.

Ahhhhh 1.018!!! Bringing it up now.

Low salinity impacts bubble formation.

Low salinity impacts bubble formation.

Salinity is at 1.022-1.023 and we have bubbles!

Any idea how to quiet down the water flow into the sump?

Salinity is at 1.022-1.023 and we have bubbles!

Depends. Is it sound from water cascading into the sump or a suction sound from the overflow box?

Depends. Is it sound from water cascading into the sump or a suction sound from the overflow box?

Can i get your number so i can send you a video? I can't post a video on here.

Can i get your number so i can send you a video? I can't post a video on here.

Email me at President@wamas.org.

Email me at President@wamas.org.

Sent

You should be able to adjust the height of the over flow box section that's inside the tank. From what I remember when I had one it will help that out. If that doesn't you could try and slow the return pump feed just a little.