Return pump question

jon_703

Thanks again everyone for the first!

So I can't seem to get rid of all these particles.

7bea366446c2b68e2e27859ffc7b6b77.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To summarize our email exchanges:

Hofer Gurgle Buster (which is really just a modified Stockman standpipe).

Also check for (confirmed) microbubbles. Likely from skimmer, but still need to test. 

To summarize our email exchanges:

Hofer Gurgle Buster (which is really just a modified Stockman standpipe).

Also check for (confirmed) microbubbles. Likely from skimmer, but still need to test.

Yeah, thanks for the help. I'm going to buy supplies to make one tomorrow. Now my dilemma are the particles. I turned off skimmer and they're not bubbles.

They are not bubbles or they aren't coming from the skimmer? (Your email said that they were tiny, tiny, tiny... bubbles.)

They are not bubbles or they aren't coming from the skimmer? (Your email said that they were tiny, tiny, tiny... bubbles.)

Looks like it could be coming from the skimmer. I took off the mesh and the bottom cup and cleaned them. Still pushing this stuff out. Already cleaned skimmer pump.

ef68edcb6aa9a21a17f9e7ab1dddc614.jpg

What kind of skimmer is it? Can you adjust (reduce) the air being drawn into the skimmer? Can you find an online reference for how others may have dealt with microbubbles from this skimmer model?

What kind of skimmer is it? Can you adjust (reduce) the air being drawn into the skimmer? Can you find an online reference for how others may have dealt with microbubbles from this skimmer model?

It's ok reef octopus bh-100ss. I've looked online and some people say it produces air bubbles during the break in period. This has been running for at least 6 months that I've had it.

I remember that skimmer. I answered a question about the surface skimmer being set somewhat low a couple of months ago. 

It looks like Coralvue makes a microbubble stopper for that model. It's available for $20 from here. I just went back to that old thread of yours and it's hard to tell if your skimmer has this piece. Can you check to see if it does? I sort of think that it does. If so, you may want to clean and adjust the sponge and see if that helps. From the picture on Coralvue's site, the sponge ring should be only partially submerged, with some above the surface of the water. Take a look and see what you can find.

If that doesn't work, you can try adding an airline valve to the air intake tube that goes to the pump. Then valve the airflow down some to keep bubbles from traveling outside the first chamber of the skimmer. This is the bubble control technique that CPR uses on their old CS100 HOB skimmer and it should work here, too. But first, check the bubble stopper to see if it's set up right.

I remember that skimmer. I answered a question about the surface skimmer being set somewhat low a couple of months ago.

It looks like Coralvue makes a microbubble stopper for that model. It's available for $20 from here. I just went back to that old thread of yours and it's hard to tell if your skimmer has this piece. Can you check to see if it does? I sort of think that it does. If so, you may want to clean and adjust the sponge and see if that helps. From the picture on Coralvue's site, the sponge ring should be only partially submerged, with some above the surface of the water. Take a look and see what you can find.

If that doesn't work, you can try adding an airline valve to the air intake tube that goes to the pump. Then valve the airflow down some to keep bubbles from traveling outside the first chamber of the skimmer. This is the bubble control technique that CPR uses on their old CS100 HOB skimmer and it should work here, too. But first, check the bubble stopper to see if it's set up right.

Yup my skimmer has this. I'll have to look up the technique you're talking about to get a better understanding.

So I completely took off my hob skimmer and took it apart and cleaned it really good. Stillllllll have bubbles. Maybe I need to upgrade to an in sump skimmer?

Try reducing the air intake.

Quick question. can i run my tank without a skimmer for a day or two?

Quick question. can i run my tank without a skimmer for a day or two?

Yes.

There are some mixed reef systems that are running without skimmer and still success.

Good to know thanks! Imiss getting a Reef Octopus xp1000sss tomorrow