Need some assistance/ideas

Fireman12s

Hi Gang, 

Finally I am back from my overseas deployment, and here in the good Ol USA.  the tank has had a rough 6 months.  All of my corals are gone (I only had three small ones anyway)  My Nems are gone, a star is gone (Surprised it lasted as long as it did) and one Pajama Cardinal is gone.  However, lots of stuff still alive and doing well :)  Flame angel, Yellow Devil Fish, Ocilaris Clown, 2 Ice something or another Clowns, 2 Pajama Cardinals, Yellow Corialis Wrasse, (Pale) raspberry dottiback, Yellow Tail Damsel, they all made it :)

So, the dilemma.  In 2 weeks I begin the process of moving across country from DC to Yosemite Natl Park (I will be living in the park)  I have a 90 Gal bow front tank, 36 Gal Sump, Apex, RODI, etc..  I love my tank, but, am not so sure how to move the fish.. If I decide not to sell the tank, the movers would move the tank, etc, but, not the fish.  Also, I am not so sure of the space (floor load capacity) or my new place in Yosemite, and the floors have carpets.  I'm not particularly interested in the messes that come with the tank over time, particularly on carpet on top of hardwood floors.  

So, would you sell the system, or keep it and try to put it up there. If you would keep it, how would you keep the fish and transport them?  Also, what about the live rock.  Everything gets shipped 24-25 March, and I don't arrive on the ground in Yosemite until 20 June.. almost a month later.

Any ideas would be great. to include "put it in the for sale section"  Or, "I'll buy the whole system for X Dollars"

Blake :)

Unless there is some sentimental attachment to the remaining livestock, I would post them for sale as it would be too much of a hassle to try and keep everything alive. From what you have listed all are readily available at most any LFS or online merchant anyway.

As for the tank and equipment, sell it all and start over after you are settled in and the timing is right.  I would not however try to sell as a whole set-up or large package deal. From what I have seen and heard from others trying to do the same, you will get low-balled and end up selling your setup for pennies on the dollar. I would try and break it up into smaller sales and sell the tank, stand and sump as a package deal. Then the remaining equipment I would evaluate the age and condition post pricing accordingly.

The sand I would pitch. The rock, if it is quality rock, I would clean the rock, box it and price accordingly.

HIH
Tom

I would sell everything and start new in the new place. There is someone looking for a full system between 90-120. Might sell it all at once :)

Unless there is some sentimental attachment to the remaining livestock, I would post them for sale as it would be too much of a hassle to try and keep everything alive. From what you have listed all are readily available at most any LFS or online merchant anyway.

As for the tank and equipment, sell it all and start over after you are settled in and the timing is right.  I would not however try to sell as a whole set-up or large package deal. From what I have seen and heard from others trying to do the same, you will get low-balled and end up selling your setup for pennies on the dollar. I would try and break it up into smaller sales and sell the tank, stand and sump as a package deal. Then the remaining equipment I would evaluate the age and condition post pricing accordingly.

The sand I would pitch. The rock, if it is quality rock, I would clean the rock, box it and price accordingly.

+1

Take some time to settle in at the (beautiful) park and enjoy life there for a while. If you're bit by the bug again, consider re-entry then. Too much is changing in your life right now. And, to be honest, it seems that you're about to embark on a pretty cool adventure in one of the most beautiful parks that we have. Don't let a tank tie you down to where you might not be able to fully enjoy this new adventure. Just my two cents.

In case there was still doubt:

I moved the contents of a 75 gallon lps system from Richmond, VA to Jersey City, NJ about 11 years ago.  I setup a 90g tank there and drove the fish, coral, rock, 1/2 the water, and my poor dog that night.  I didn't lose a thing till I accidently crushed a shrimp as I was loading the livestock into the new tank. It was a highly successful, but stressful and tiring trip that I would not wish upon my worst, nosy, pain in the #$$, neighbor :)

Considering the distance you are moving, I would absolutely start over.  It's usually more fair to the animals as well.