Problem with small tanks

Der ABT

Well just had my first issue with my nano qt tank......

I guess 7g heats up a bit faster than 100

Came in this morning to a not so great smell I've smelled before.

Yesterday my a/c decided to stop working and it got hoooot in my office....didn't even think about the little tank....guess it got too hot cause had a mini die off.....lost a couple corals I was hoping to keep but so far only 2 frags...hoping that is all.

I keep a top on the tank cause its in a small closet for humidity control...guess I'll have to watch it a little closer now....or get a temp probe in there.

Oh well lesson learned....check small tank before big tank haha

I don't even have a heater in my 6 gallon at work.

Sucks about the die off, but at least it wasn't a terrible lesson learned!

Wasn't a heater...ambient temp etc....I was sweating pretty good ...it's a small closet and it was hotter in there.....window ac unit in....repairman coming.

Have a controller just don't have an extra temp probe cause you can't really find the old aciii pro ones easily

can't believe they make you work in a closet. Does your red stapler complement the fish tank?

Cats out of the bag, Rob nailed it!

(Ps. Evan, I'm back in Arlington, beer o' clock one of these fast approaching summer nights.)

Man I get no stapler....only scotch tape....and not even the super clear kind...only frosted.

Ac is back working...lost one more frag otherwise looking better

It seems like it takes a bit to work out the kinks on a newer tank. And getting to know your tanks personality (hope I don't have to pay Mr saltwater Tank a royalty)

• 2 weeks later...

ATO and temp controller are almost mandatory for tiny tanks.

ATO and temp controller are almost mandatory for tiny tanks.

I have been running my 6 gallon for about a year with nothing but a HOB filter and lights. I have anemones, a maxima clam, acans, and a bunch of zoanthids. The PO ran it the same way, with less lighting.

I don't feel like the exception to the rule, but I don't have an ATO or temp controller, or even a heater...

I have been running my 6 gallon for about a year with nothing but a HOB filter and lights. I have anemones, a maxima clam, acans, and a bunch of zoanthids. The PO ran it the same way, with less lighting.

I don't feel like the exception to the rule, but I don't have an ATO or temp controller, or even a heater...

Isaac, the design of your tank doesn't allow much evap...so I'm not surprised you've been able to get by without the ATO. Not everyone is diligent in top-offs though, and with more open surface area an ATO is a good idea in my opinion.

Heater depends on the temp of the room and the stability of that temp.

Swings in parameters are normally going to be bigger in small tanks....so stocking things that are relatively durable isn't a bad idea. However, I still have a dream of a 5.5g acro tank on my desk...but until that day I stare at a reminder of what can happen quickly in a small water volume

med_gallery_2632921_1180_80851.jpg

Evan, hope your tank doesn't look like this :-)

Isaac, the design of your tank doesn't allow much evap...so I'm not surprised you've been able to get by without the ATO. Not everyone is diligent in top-offs though, and with more open surface area an ATO is a good idea in my opinion.

Heater depends on the temp of the room and the stability of that temp.

Swings in parameters are normally going to be bigger in small tanks....so stocking things that are relatively durable isn't a bad idea. However, I still have a dream of a 5.5g acro tank on my desk...but until that day I stare at a reminder of what can happen quickly in a small water volume

med_gallery_2632921_1180_80851.jpg

Evan, hope your tank doesn't look like this :-)

Tbh, I've manually topped off with most of my bigger tanks as well. You're right, it's not something that most hobbyists would be diligent about, but I disagree that it's mandatory for a nano, as well as a temp controller. That's all.

I think if you're going to try to keep SPS in a small tank, you're going to have a bad time, but that's just my opinion. I've seen it done with success, but those are exception to the rule cases.

Haha too funny that's exactly what mine looks like.....

Just means less dipping of acros now, and have to start over fully.....which stinks but what can ya do

When I remove the top I need to add some top up...bout 100ml, when I leave the top on its stable from the auto water change

Sorry for making an extreme statement. I guess I will apply it just to me and other folks who are afraid to try a tiny tank without them. I'd like to have a pico, but I would have to have a system hiding somewhere below the table to be able to not worry about it. Bigger tanks aren't as worrisome.