Starfire glass?

cane

I strongly considered it on my tank but went with regular glass in the end.  I had a 9' span with one pane of glass and I worried about the strength of starfire.  Evidently it's the iron in glass that gives it strength.

However, your tank will probably be of a size that glass strength won't be an issue.  So I say go for it.

starfire has great visibility but scratches easier then glass, and is not as easy to fix scratches as acrylic.

I had this battle in my head for weeks and ultimately just pulled the trigger on a 315g acrylic

Starfire glass is the WORST choice for aquariums. Snails can scratch it easily. You can't tell the difference in clarity until you go thicker than 3/4".

Not worth the extra cost.

I like it. Mine is 1/2" here is the difference. 6 months no scratches even rubbed some rock up against it by accident. You have to wonder what the hardness difference is on Mohs hardness scale. Can't be very much softer than regular. ed6f050eeba3e16b9d17dacb7ca4d351.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to derail the thread, but....

Holy cow Gmerek2!! How tall is that tank? It looks taller than me.

The camera is inside the tank :P. It looks like it may be around 24" tall.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yea don't use the 4foot shovel as a size indicator lol. It's an optical illusion 24" you can see the back panel is not sharphire and the side is. The regular glass has a slight blue green tint. Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference but i had to get it

I have had my display for 3+ years with star fire and use a mag float scraper at least 1x per week. Never put a scratch in the tank yet. I also maintain several other tanks with starfire and never scratches those either.

Personally I think it's worth the added cost. Depending on who you go with, it's a very nominal up charge for the better clarity.

Isn't Starfire just a brand? Kind of like Kleenex?  Are there other low iron options out there that folks would also recommend or prefer? I'm just curious now 

There is one called UltraWhite. But I don't know if its just like another stage like reg>UltraWhite>Starfire or if Starfire and UltraWhite are equals in terms on iron

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yea don't use the 4foot shovel as a size indicator lol. It's an optical illusion

I was going to say Wow!!! That tank is like a scuba training facility. Didn't realize you were such a reef pimp.

If regular glass has a greenish blueish tint, isn't that what we want? We add supplemental/actinic lighting to achieve this effect no? Man maybe blue glass aquariums are the next big thing. You can start paying me now for royalties. You're welcome ;$

If regular glass has a greenish blueish tint, isn't that what we want? We add supplemental/actinic lighting to achieve this effect no? Man maybe blue glass aquariums are the next big thing. You can start paying me now for royalties. You're welcome ;$

+1. While you were typing I got the patent on blue/green tinted glass. I'll be a gazzillionaire. Haha.