Wrasse Den/Bed availability?

AlanM

Does anyone know of sources for basically a sand-holder for certain wrasses to sleep in if you're running a bare bottom or crushed coral tank?  

I think that Alternative Reef basically invented them and I know he sells them occasionally, but from reading on Reef2Reef it seems to be a hit or miss type of thing, and they sell out as soon as they make them.  

Trying to remember the name, but there was a vendor at MACNA that had branching display structures for mounting corals. Looked like bonsai vs live rock, but big...really big stuff.

That guy had something like what you're looking for too.

Trying to remember the name, but there was a vendor at MACNA that had branching display structures for mounting corals. Looked like bonsai vs live rock, but big...really big stuff.

That guy had something like what you're looking for too.

Sounds like the Alternative Reef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the main floor was another vendor who made rock structures. His were a darker color that kind of purpled up when wet. 

I love all my Alternative Reef pieces and am also curious how well these wrasse dens work. Im sure they work for the wrasse just fine but how well do they hold sand in? My gut says I'm going to have stray sand everywhere which would just be annoying.

On the main floor was another vendor who made rock structures. His were a darker color that kind of purpled up when wet.

I love all my Alternative Reef pieces and am also curious how well these wrasse dens work. Im sure they work for the wrasse just fine but how well do they hold sand in? My gut says I'm going to have stray sand everywhere which would just be annoying.

I've not heard any negatives. I know some of our members have used them with success, one that comes to mind is @cliffpuckstable

Yep, I asked him and Gmerek about them

I think Gmerek just uses tuppawear? Either way, I think the concept is the same, you probably end up with some sand here and there, but nothing unmanageable, from what I can tell.

Scott at Alternative Reef is super nice. He wasn't able to bring an item I was hoping to buy to MACNA and he and I worked it out afterwards and let's just say he was incredibly generous and wonderful. I would message him on reef2reef or Facebook and just ask him directly.