recommended water change interval for a 75g reef?

madmax7774

I am looking for suggestions on the recommended intervals for water changes on my 75g reef ( with 30 gallon sump/Fuge) It is roughly 45 days old and I just did my first change of 10 gallons. i was figuring on doing 10 gallons every 3 or 4 weeks. Is that to little or too much or just right???

:bluefish:

Edited by madmax7774

I have had reef systems for the last 2 1/2 years., and always made 10% water changes every two weeks. never had a problem and all livestock is healthy, even alive for the last 2 1/2 years....

I have a 75 gallon reef with 20 gallon sump and a 10 gallon satellite tank.

i change 15-23 gallons a week.

David B.

My 180 w/29 gal refugium & 40 gal sump... I do 30-35/week

Dave

I vary wildly. In 2005 I changed water a total of perhaps 12 times. For two months or so I changed water weekly (while I was experiencing an algae surge) .. that's 8. Probably 2 water changes that year before that happened and two after.

This year I've been a bit more religious with changes almost every week if not every two.. or sometimes three. One 5G bucket for the 75G plus 5G sump when I do one.

on my 180 with a 40 gallon sump and a 40 gallon fuge i change 15 gallons every week, the thing that i have herd is if you are going to do water changes than do them dont do them once a week for a year than 1 a month the next year. Go to reefcentral and read some of the things that happen to ppl that did that.

Leishman, do you discard the filter socks after 3 days, or do you clean them to reuse?

Edited by danskim

Leishman, do you discard the filter socks after 3 days, or do you clean them to reuse?

Toss 'em the washer w/bleach only on 2nd rinse cycle Let them stand 48hrs and they are good to go again.

Guest ethandvm

I have 120g, and do 15-20% water changes every 2 weeks, here is a good link that supports frequent water changes: