Advice on getting a decent RODI system.

Tommy

Hey guys ! Im looking to get an RODI system for the first time,  I'm just  looking to make around 5/10 gallon a day and something simple.  Which system would you recommend ?  Thanks in advance 

Air Water Ice is a sponsor of our club. Find them at airwaterice.com. Many members here have the Typhoon III, which was one of their largest selling units. The Typhoon III of today puts out 100 gallons per day, and includes a handheld TDS meter. The Typhoon III starts out at $190. There's a similar, lower cost option called the Reefkeeper which starts out at $150 (75 gpd and no TDS meter). Bot are 5-stage systems. Save an additional 10% using the club discount code #29439. A used RO/DI system can often be had for less, but budget in replacement costs for the membrane and filters if you go used. 

You'll also find people here that use RO/DI systems from Bulk Reef Supply. But, as I said, Air Water Ice is one of our sponsors and BRS is not. 

+1 on AWI. The one I have is Typhoon III...that my second one and no complaints so far. Sometime they have discounted coupons on their page in vendor forums. Recently I added one more membrane to my unit and the person at AWI was very helpful on phone ordering and installing the unit for me. 

+1 to what Tom said. Their customer service is unrivaled imo. I've been using a Typhoon III from the get go, and have been very pleased with the quality and results of their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up - in addition the to 10% club discount mentioned above, Air, Water and Ice is also offering Free Shipping on all RODI systems now through Dec 31 as their 4th Quarter special -- see their sponsor thread for more info.

I too am looking to buy my first RODI unit within the next 4-6 weeks. Several good names and systems have already been mentioned -- AWI, Spectrapure, BRS, etc. -- and any of them will work quite well.  But, after 15+ hours of reading, researching, and price comparison -- even down to the cost of replacement filters, membranes, and resin for different sized systems -- I've yet to find a better deal for what tons of experienced aquarists on several forums consider a top-end system than an AWI system with the WAMAS club discount and free shipping.

Edited by malacoda

Spektrapure for me. I've had both

What is that makes you prefer your Spectrapure over the AWI? 

Like Tommy, I would too would love to hear a bit insight/experience from someone who has used both before making a final decision on which one I'm going to pull the trigger on...

Honestly what got me was I was burning through di resin in about two weeks. When I contacted awi they told me that was right with my incoming TDs. I never had that problem with other units. When I switched to spektrapure I used there pre loaded di resin and I've gone six months with 0 TDs.

Also, this happened with two units for me. I thought I had a bad unit for whatever reason so I got a brand new one and it was the same thing. But there are tons of people without that problem so I really never understood it. I just know my spektrapure rocks and I'm very happy with it.

Keep in mind that RO/DI systems are basically just plumbing supplemented with replaceable parts (filters & membranes). There are accessories that can help improve performance, though.

Assuming comparably performing RO membranes, things that can affect DI resin performance may be related to the presence of automated backflush or devices that reduce the initial TDS burst, or with how you use the unit, or the quality of the water coming in. For example, if you run your RO/DI unit 20 times a week for 30 minutes each, you'll use up DI resin a lot faster than if you were to run it once for 10 hours because of the high, initial TDS burst that comes out of the membrane. An automated (timed) backflush accessory can definitely improve the life of DI resin (and therefore lower operating costs) at the cost of a little more wasted water, but so can better management of how often water is made.

Some of us on wells, though, can be faced with high levels of dissolved CO2 in our water and, in that case, our DI resin can be depleted quickly irrespective of backflushing or sensible water production schedules. 

Honestly what got me was I was burning through di resin in about two weeks. When I contacted awi they told me that was right with my incoming TDs. I never had that problem with other units. When I switched to spektrapure I used there pre loaded di resin and I've gone six months with 0 TDs.

Also, this happened with two units for me. I thought I had a bad unit for whatever reason so I got a brand new one and it was the same thing. But there are tons of people without that problem so I really never understood it. I just know my spektrapure rocks and I'm very happy with it.

Keep in mind that RO/DI systems are basically just plumbing supplemented with replaceable parts (filters & membranes). There are accessories that can help improve performance, though.

Assuming comparably performing RO membranes, things that can affect DI resin performance may be related to the presence of automated backflush or devices that reduce the initial TDS burst, or with how you use the unit, or the quality of the water coming in. For example, if you run your RO/DI unit 20 times a week for 30 minutes each, you'll use up DI resin a lot faster than if you were to run it once for 10 hours because of the high, initial TDS burst that comes out of the membrane. An automated (timed) backflush accessory can definitely improve the life of DI resin (and therefore lower operating costs) at the cost of a little more wasted water, but so can better management of how often water is made.

Some of us on wells, though, can be faced with high levels of dissolved CO2 in our water and, in that case, our DI resin can be depleted quickly irrespective of backflushing or sensible water production schedules. 

Great additional info -- thank you both!