I have seen a lot of threads related to Apex programming and setup.  I consulted with the rest of the officers and thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where members can:

ask questions(Apex setup/programming)

post their own code

seek help for something they would like to have their apex perform. 

There are also several sites that have sample code that members can use for themselves.  A great site is reeftronics.com.  As well as Neptunes's own site which has the holy grail (comprehensive apex manual).  I have had my Apex for quite sometime and I have it do almost everything (water changes, email alerts, status checks, change pump cycles, etc).  I can certainly answer most questions, so don't be shy.  It can get complicated :cool:

So post away :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Are you using the DOS for water changes or something else?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using the DOS for water changes or something else?

Something else.  I use two large barrels and two mag drive pumps.  One pump(in the sump) pumps water out and the other (in Saltwater reservoir) pumps water back into sump. Each of them are on for two minutes.   

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm setting up my BRS doser, which doses 1.1ml per minute.  Let's assume that I want to dose 41.25 ml of 2 part alk solution. 

41.25ml / 1.1ml/min = 37.5 (rounded) minutes that the doser should be on throughout the day.

I was thinking of breaking it up into 3 separate dosing periods during the lights-on period.  37.5/3 = 12.5 roughly each time. 

I'd want it off 9:30pm until 4:30pm the next day while the lights are off.  Then it would be on from 4:30-5:30, from 6:30-7:30, and 8:30-9:30 with an OSC statement controlling during that time.

Would this apex programming work? And is there an easier/better way?

Edited by truetricia2

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/012:30/047:30 Then ON
If Time 21:30 to 16:29 Then OFF
If Time 17:30 to 18:29 Then OFF
If Time 19:30 to 20:29 Then OFF
If pH > 8.30 Then OFF

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by truetricia2

HI everyone, Im having a hard time understanding all this codes and how to use them.

I want to program my skimmer for feed modes and I want to delay it to come on delay for a minute or two, can someone post your feed mode and maintenance codes please?

Skimmer

Fallback ON 

Set ON 

If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF    <when return pump is off, the skimmer shuts down>

Defer 002:30 Then ON    <skimmer is delayed 2:30 minutes before restarting>

If FeedA 000 Then OFF   <skimmer shuts down immediately for defined feedA time>

If FeedB 000 Then OFF   <skimmer shuts down immediately for defined feedb time>

Skimmer
Fallback ON 
Set ON 
If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF    <when return pump is off, the skimmer shuts down>
Defer 002:30 Then ON    <skimmer is delayed 2:30 minutes before restarting>
If FeedA 000 Then OFF   <skimmer shuts down immediately for defined feedA time>
If FeedB 000 Then OFF   <skimmer shuts down immediately for defined feedb time>

Thanks, my skimmer does not turn back on though, I have it very simple just to check if its working properly but its not

Fallback On

Set ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

So I have an issue I can't quite figure out.

My ato is a maxi jet 1200 pump plugged into outlet 7 in my eb8. i have a float switch tied into my breakout box. Works great. Its an old pump and it's real noisy for that short period it's on so I bought a aqualifter pump to replace it. The outlet will not shut off when that pump is plugged into the same outlet. The old pump is 20 watts the new pump is 3 watts. Will the relay in outlet 7 not work if there is not a big enough load on it? It's the only thing I can think. In auto once it turns on or if I shut the outlet off it will not shut the outlet off. That aqualifter just keeps running. I plug the maxi jet back in and it's flawless.

I guess I should have googled that. I need to have that aqualifter plugged into 4 or 8 because they are relay outlets. The other outlets use triacs and won't work properly under small loads.

Thanks!

Now I just need to find the time to switch a couple things around. Rewrite the script and rename the plugs. I'm just glad I can use the aqualifter it's pretty quiet compared to that maxi jet

Correct. I was just getting ready to reply that.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall seeing an Apex Sub Forum where programming questions may be posed, but I cannot find it:(

I recently set up my Apex and it mostly seems to be running ok.  Still have to connect the ATO.  WAnt to make sure I am around when I do this in case I screw it up :)

I am still trying to work out the bugs on my Refugium light.  I would like it to come on from 19:00 to 0:700 but it stays on all the time. 

I put in the code as follows:

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 19:00 to 07:00 then OFF

Any suggestions?

Victor

Scott,

Thanks for relocating this post.  I appreciate your help.

I think I have it as ON.  That was an early morning, pre-coffee typo  :)

Otherwise, does the code look correct?

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 19:00 to 07:00 then ON

I am a bit nervous about the ATO.  A screw up there and I could end up with wet carpet.

I have manually triggered the pressure switch and did not see a corresponding change in the Fusion switch position.  Is this normal. 

Also, I would like to trigger email/text alerts, but have not decided how I want that set up yet.  ATO pump ON too long would be one I guess.  Skimmer overflow, and temp would be another.

Any tips for a new user? 

Edited by VKernus

The code looks correct. 

There are a lot of fail safe's that can be implemented with an ATO.  Here are a few:

- put a statement in the code that limits the time that the ato can run ( ie Min Time 010:00 Then OFF)

- Create a virtual outlet that is tied to a float valve.  This outlet would be set to go on if the float valve (on a breakout box) is on and you would program the virtual outlet to be a timer that starts when the float valve is tripped and only stays on for a predetermined amount of time and then turns off (and turning the float switch off at the same time).

Make sure the switch is set up correctly on the breakout box. The change is not instantaneous though.

Adding alerts for outlets is very easy.  Edit the base_email (device/alert configuration setting).  You can add alerts for:

high temp

low temp

PH (high or low)

when something turns ON/OFF

Daily emails to let you know the apex is online or as a daily check in

water sensors

float switches

etc....

Scott,

Light program not working. Should I delete the Set command?

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 19:00 to 07:00 Then ON

It's 21:13 and light is off.

Victor

Edited by VKernus

Thanks Scott.  I had to change the "Tank Time" to our time zone and it seems to be working.  Last tasks will be ATO, email/text alerts, and setting up the doser.  This is a very cool little system.

First of all Thank you for posting this!!

I recently hook up my apex to my tank, I hook up the apex to the internet wireless via apple airport express. Email alerts, apex fusion, etc all work fine but when Im not home and try to access apex fusion via my iPhone app I get a message at the bottom ( I can't really remember the exact words right now) saying apex timed out or it can't connect, PH and temp show the time I was last at home and I can't get control or do anything that way but as soon as I am home it starts working again, can someone help me fix this? what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

There's nothing broken here.  Unless you do some pretty fancy configuration, the iPhone app will only work when the phone is on your home network.  There's no way for the app to "see" into your home network when you're not on it.  Fusion works fine on the phone, but runs in the *web browser*, so it will work at home or away.  You probably don't want to do all the configuration (port forwarding, dynamic dns, etc.) required to use the app; that's high nerd fu.