Is it safe to use a cat litter jug for ATO?

SandJ

I am installing a TUNZE ATO. Just emptied a cat litter jug and it looks like the perfect size ATO container. 

The cat litter is NOT scented.

Think it would be safe to use?

I think as long as it's been cleaned out properly, you should be fine. I've heard of other people doing this before. My only concern would be if anything might have soaked into the plastic that could leach into the water, worst case and imo unlikely situation.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

If I put some rodi water with a tds of zero in the jug, let it set and test it again...would that be an accurate test of the jug leaching?

Or would the contaminants not show up on tds?

It's a plastic jug that held dry material.

Rinse it with tap water and bleach.

+1 I have been used it for years with out any problem. I just washed it with tap water real good.

Thanks everyone! I will give it another rinse, drill a hole in the top and hook everything up :0)

I am installing a TUNZE ATO. Just emptied a cat litter jug and it looks like the perfect size ATO container. 

The cat litter is NOT scented.

Think it would be safe to use?

Yes. I used one for years on a nano that I had. It was an empty pail of Fresh Step that my neighbor was throwing out. I cleaned it up and used it without any trouble at all. It fit great in the stand and, because of it's rectangular shape, made better use of space than round buckets that were being considered.

It is HDPE, but we should have replacement container frequently. So becoming brittle should not be an issue. That is an excellent point for someone buying just for the jug and may be using the same one long term. 

This is how it looks set up:

post-2635875-0-08125800-1446043722_thumb.jpg

I drilled a hole in the back of the cabinet and ran the black fill line out it. This keeps me from running a hose carrying water over the power bar, just in case. 

I do not have a sump, so the shut off switch for the Tunze ATO has to mount in the tank. But due to the trim on the tank, the switch is too low :::sigh::: I guess I could make a mount out of a piece of acrylic?