ReefLink vs. Apex WXM Module? Thoughts?

Reefer_Madness

I have a Reeflink control for my Ecotech lights and pumps, but recently I upgraded to an Apex system from a DA ReefKeeper.  I am debating getting the WXM module to control my Ecotech equipment, but have read some bad and good reviews. 

Has anyone switched over to the WXM from the ReefLink?  If so, what are your thoughts?

I have 4 MP10s and 1 Radion, so it would be nice to control everything from one platform.

I had both you won't be able to control your radions on color with the wxm. The WXM has a few presets and timers but the reeflink gives you more options to control your colors. If your not to picky on the exact color u want then WXM will be ok I have the apex but use my reeflink for my lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had both you won't be able to control your radions on color with the wxm. The WXM has a few presets and timers but the reeflink gives you more options to control your colors. If your not to picky on the exact color u want then WXM will be ok I have the apex but use my reeflink for my lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's kinda what I thought. I heard they were making some improvements to the WXM but wasn't sure if that was one of the changes. Guess not.

When I had the reeflink it pretty much was the most terribly executed piece of equipment on the market, and if it worked 50% of the time, you were lucky. If Ecotech didn't have such amazing powerheads, I would have never looked back after switching to T5's. I hear they have worked out most of those kinks now, but I'm of the opinion that if you're going to release a product, don't charge primo prices for it if you're going to beta test it with users. 

I've not had the WXM, but you can tell I'm not thrilled with my experience with the Reeflink. 

I will echo that Isaac said. When I first purchased a reef link I could not believe it carried the ecotech name. It worked only half the time, I had to constantly reset it and the entire user experience was less than stellar. They have seemed to work out the kinks and the product has worked very well for me lately. It makes tweaking anything with the lights or pumps very easy now. I have no experience with the WXM but at this point I am very happy with the reef link.

I have the ReefLink and I am pretty happy with the user experience.  It does still have some glitches with ecosmartlive though. 

I wonder if the kinks have been worked out of the WXM.

(edited)

I've had the WXM controlling my XR15 since last October and I've never had an issue with it. The presets don't have fancy names like the ReefLink but it still controls the light just fine. Not sure what Eddie means by controlling the color but you have 0-100% range for each of the colors and one for overall intensity.

Edited by seanoli

I've had the WXM controlling my XR15 since last October and I've never had an issue with it. The presets don't have fancy names like the ReefLink but it still controls the light just fine. Not sure what Eddie means by controlling the color but you have 0-100% range for each of the colors and one for overall intensity.

Thanks.

I have the reeflink and it seems to have settled down to functioning OK.  I relocated the reeflink to right next to my wireless router and my problems went way down.  I also have a WXM but haven't set it up yet.  Given this thread, I may not.

I also purchased the WXM but have not used it. My thought were the same, control everything from one place. But after reading the experiences of different users on the APEX site and all the programming that is involved to adjust the lights the way you want them. I have backed off the idea of setting it up. The reeflink even with it little glitches, once set up, is actually nice. 

Im staying with the Reeflink to control lights and pumps. Even though i have set up outlets on the APEX to control feed times and power for the lights.

Richie

Oy. Make sure you're using Apex Fusion to setup the WXM. It's very similar to the ReefLink web interface. When people talk about the difficulty in setting up the Apex I can only assume they've not tried Fusion. It's a 100% GUI that requires zero coding. Below is what the control screen for my WXM:

18515960958_2aa031ebc1_c.jpg

18703773495_64acb0722b_c.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have used both and I would never get a reef link again. The wxm is by far the way to go for me personally so much so I have one that controlled multiple tanks in different floor of the house. I do have a spare if you are looking to buy a wxm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk