David's Sr-80 reef

Well, I started dosing a week ago or so because the corals did not look happy. I have used these products before when I had a 75 gallon reef. If I was to minimize the dosing I would cut back to just the mag and DKH buffer.

The flow I had before I put the 2nd return pump online was a old MP40 from a previous tank , A maxijet 400 with the propeller pump mod and the one return pump and that was it. I think the slime/ bacterial was using up a lot of the dissolved oxygen. I plan to do water changes every 2 weeks now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I started dosing a week ago or so because the corals did not look happy. I have used these products before when I had a 75 gallon reef. If I was to minimize the dosing I would cut back to just the mag and DKH buffer.

The flow I had before I put the 2nd return pump online was a old MP40 from a previous tank , A maxijet 400 with the propeller pump mod and the one return pump and that was it. I think the slime/ bacterial was using up a lot of the dissolved oxygen. I plan to do water changes every 2 weeks now.

I would not dose for anything that you're not testing for, just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the attention. I will cut back on the iodine. There is not too many stony corals so I think water changes will be enough to replenish calcium for now. Maybe I should just stick to water changes and forget the dosing.

David

Edited by davjbeas

If all you have is LPS and softies. Water changes should take care of 99% of the levels. I would change out 15% every 2 weeks and you should be fine. Have you changed out the filter socks? They catch a lot of crud.

Yes, I only have lps and softies. I am running berlin style now. The filter socks are removed.

David

Do you siphon out the rear compartments during water changes. They collect a ton of detrius.

I agree with this. Granted i only have the 30. I do a biweekly water change and just added the mid size skimmer. That's it. I also use a turkey baster sometimes to hit random areas to make sure nothing has settled. I prefer that so i dont stir up to much at once. I also dont dose but let water changes take care of maintaining a happy tank for me. Im 50/50 sps and everything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update.

I have been running the tank with 200 micron filter socks in the 2 back compartments. Before I change the socks I blast the rocks with a maxi jet 1200 and scrape all the glass panels, when the water clears I change the socks.

I got a new sealed lead acid battery from amazon to replace the one in my vortech battery back up. I read how to do it in the general discussion forum. The old one i have does not hold a charge.

Tuesday is my day to maintain my tanks and do water changes. I have added some more corals. My wife and I like to go to Incredible corals and blue ribbon koi on Sundays and Marine scene on tuesday. Just got a nice galaxia coral I have had my eye on.

pics to follow 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been doing water change every 2 weeks and changing the filter socks out every week after scraping the glass. The rocks are clean. The back panel is clean. There are no worries other than the new bubble coral may be in a too much flow area. I wonder what is the best algae to feed my Kole eyed tang on a lettuce clip. I see Julian Sprung has red, green and another one. Is any one best for the tang?

I took advantage of the BRS 10% off sale and bought 20 filter socks yesterday. I might pull out the socks for a week and see if the corals respond to dirtier water.

Thanks,

David

• 4 weeks later...

More pics

11-26-15%20001_zpsnmgr3bg4.jpg

some frags

11-26-15%20001_zpsnmgr3bg4.jpg

Bubble coral not doing so good

11-26-15%20007_zpsqzfvzs37.jpg

Sarcophyton

11-26-15%20006_zpsadbsv5yb.jpg

Galaxia

11-26-15%20004_zpsqq9lpo4y.jpg

Some grass growing

11-26-15%20005_zpscxxlctgl.jpg

Mystery wrasse

11-26-15%20009_zpsgzzi5cht.jpg

Midas Blenny

11-26-15%20008_zpsrukec8f1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update-

Bubble coral did not make it. It was dying so I removed it before it polluted the water.

Maintenance is still the same. I am lucky to have no cyano or other unwanted algae. The Kole tang is probably keeping algae in check and there is a lot of flow in the display section. I am feeding him the Julian Sprung green algae sheets on a lettuce clamp about a 2"x2" piece daily to make sure he gets his vegetables. The Mystery wrasse is eating well. I am amazed at the size of food he can swallow in one gulp. I am feeding Rods reef food. I picked up some amazing corals from Valeria in Woodbridge. She was taking down a propagation tank. I got some hammer, torch, Blue trumpet. They were so healthy they opened up quickly after acclimating and placed in the display, I recommend buying from her. I plan to install a Reefkeeper lite on Tuesday. I want the redundancy of shutting off power to the heater at 79 degrees in case the thermostat on the heater fails. Also I will remove the timer for the lights and have the controller turn off and on the lights. It is interesting to see the LPS corals extending feeding tendrils. Mostly the green trumpet but also the acans. I haven't seen any on the galaxia yet but maybe it does after the lights go out. It is exiting to look at the corals and see them doing so well.

• 3 weeks later...

The tank is a good tank. There is no sump but the back compartment does most of what a sump would do. I mean holds a heater, filter socks, skimmer, media reactor.

I ordered a back up battery back up the vortech MP40. I was worried that I was unprepared for the blizzard if the power went out. which it did not. I plan to test Magnesium, calcium, alkalinity tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Worked Monday on the tank as I was home because of the snow. Moved some frags and mounted some corals into the rock work. I am not dosing anything. Just water change every 2- 3 weeks with Reef Crystals.

I am very happy with the tank. I have some room for a few more corals and might get a skunk cleaner shrimp from Sri Lanka. I am considering some Stylophora or poccilipora or some the ORA sps.

• 2 months later...

Update-

the only fishes are a mystery wrasse and Yellow eyed kole tang

I added a shrimp a few months back but it didn't last for long. Not sure if I should blame the wrasse.

Corals are all doing nicely. Watching the growth is exciting. 

I am only skimming and running the 2 filter socks. I clean the skimmer and put new filter socks every Tuesday.

I would like to add a few SPS but would be sure to dip in Coral RX. I do not want to dose or run a  ca reactor So It would be 1 or 2. Maybe ORA sps Verde or Some that are listed easier.

I removed the modded maxi jet from the tanks left side. It was too much flow for the LPS. I have seen no cyano or other algae appear with the lesser flow. I have the MP40 on the right side of the tank.

It is on a battery backup so its my insurance if there is a power outage.

• 6 months later...

Here is an update.

I believe I have vermetid snails.

The mystery wrasse and kole tang kill any fish, shrimp or starfish I have added but they leave the corals alone.

Here are the pics

DSCN0108_zpseayysj2u.jpg

DSCN0109_zpsu4ismytv.jpg

DSCN0110_zpsnrjv0has.jpg

DSCN0111_zpsqjfthnpt.jpg

DSCN0112_zpsh7stbguv.jpg

Coral frag from the fall frag swap

DSCN0113_zpsvgugetif.jpg

DSCN0114_zpsrozfyxu2.jpg

DSCN0115_zpsghsmdgjt.jpg

DSCN0116_zps8tm31uus.jpg

Thanks for Viewing

David

DSCN0113_zpsvgugetif.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I am wanting to add a fish. I have not had luck with shrimp, anthias, blue spotted jawfish, fromia starfish, fire shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, 

All I have now are mystery wrasse, yellow eyed kole tang, nassarius snails a few sps, 2 types of hammer, frogspawn, bubble coral, sarcophyton, torch hybrid, yuma, acans, 2 types of trumpet.

I would like a flame hawkfish. What would you recommend adding?