Moving maybe. Soon...

Djplus1

So, a potential move is on the horizon. Much bigger house, more room for fun, ha ha, but what do I do with my tanks?

I have a 72 gallon bow front with about 3 years of growth, pretty nice size corals/colonies (mixed), none "irreplaceable" though, with fish that the family have become attached to, disease free, etc.

Also a Red Sea Max 34 that I use as a frag tank with a couple nice fish.

Also a Biocube 14 in my soon to be 6 year old's room, with fish he likes.

Doing some home visits tomorrow and have a feeling that an offer will be made by this weekend on one of them (if I know my wife). New house will be relatively local (Montgomery, Frederick, Howard or Carroll counties)

Do I

A. Try the impossible and move all three tanks to their new home, while moving a whole house full of crap and not lose a beat (or all corals and fish)

B. Sell everything now and be done with it and start fresh at new house (probably one tank this time with a piped in frag tank)

C. Get rid of the 2 smaller set ups and try to save as much as I can of the larger set up and combine all fish for the time being, with the goal of moving the inhabitants to a larger tank in the next few months

Additional information. We do not require our old house sold to purchase new house, so perhaps I can leave tanks in old house to do this in stages over a couple weeks (options A or C) So this would maybe be option D.

Either way, I want the bowfront, not to be the main display anymore, but I'm not going to immediately get a new tank.

Option D is my choice... It what I did when I moved not far from our old home to our new one...

Also with this option you could break stuff down into the smaller tanks to move the larger one... Then move everything over...

I wish I could give you more advice, but I’m in the same boat. Local move coming soon, with two tanks to move…What I plan on doing is tearing down the bigger tank and keeping as much as I can in the smaller and easier to move/set up AIO tank. Unfortunately we will be putting our current house on the market before we’ve moved so option A isn’t open for me.

If you can fit all the fish into the Red Sea tank, I would leave one of the two larger tanks up and running while you moved one into the new house. Then shift fish/corals over and then move the rest of the tanks as you can. That way you could move the bowfront over first and get that up and running before trying to get everyone over alive to the new house.

IDK I’m just a noob though, I’ve never moved with a reef tank before. 

B.

It's never worth it, "enjoy" the move by not having to worry about anything. Get a big setup and do it the way you want it this time around. It's so much easier, and trust me, your family is not that attached to the fish...

Go with option B.

If you attached to your fish, then sell your corals and keep the fish.

I recently moved all my livestock and it was no fun. Also, trying to keep 2 places running at once is financially challenge. the first few months is okay, but after that you can feel it.  

In the same boat...went with option B. Good thing about this option is that you get an opportunity to fix the things you always wanted to in your old setup. 

B is my opinion too.

I moved 45 minutes away back in August. Very attached to my fish so I took them to the new house, and lost everything but 1 damsel. It's so much more heartbreaking to lose them than to give them to a good home. I tried option D, but it was too hard to go to the new house just to feed them every night, so I decided to move them all in one go.

If I could do it over again, I'd move the fish first, before all the furniture, and do it in stages. Make sure they have a tank/tub already set up and tested. And make sure you have an RO unit set up at the new house before you do anything so you can make water in an emergency. 

I'm just dreading the selling process or the moving process at this point. Neither seem like a very appealing option, kind of like wanting to deal with Comcast customer service or Verizon customer service.....

Second bit of concern, is what do most people do when they have 2-3 corals or fish that no one wants? I assume that I can maybe take them into a store for credit and take whatever they offer, but what if they say no? You don't just flush the fish, but if no one wants them, even for free, then what?

Somebody will take it. Never seen this problem.

Maybe eventually, but I'm not trying to keep a system running for an extra 3 weeks to find a home for some green chromis or clownfish, when I'm going to need every second to dedicate to getting rid of as much equipment as possible.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. You will have a harder time moving your setups to keep the fish, vs a restart. Trust me, free .99 around here always moves. If you think you are going to be moving, start now, get it out the door. When you're not worried about your top off water, stock/corals, and feeding while you are moving, you will be so happy, you might not even want another tank!

If you think you will have a hard time, then keep them, and try not to stress out about it, I still think B is your huckleberry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just dreading the selling process or the moving process at this point. Neither seem like a very appealing option, kind of like wanting to deal with Comcast customer service or Verizon customer service.....

Second bit of concern, is what do most people do when they have 2-3 corals or fish that no one wants? I assume that I can maybe take them into a store for credit and take whatever they offer, but what if they say no? You don't just flush the fish, but if no one wants them, even for free, then what?

After selling most of your live stock...you will end up with few that no one wants...but trust me...they will be gone if you let them go for free.