Purple slimer is browning.

Joshwaggs

My purple slimer is going brown. I thought it was getting too much light. So, I moved it to the middle of the tank and in indirect light.

Does anyone know if it getting brown is too much light, or too little. Polyps are acting normal. Growth is still going, but color is getting dull.

088beabd79083f53bc0bc1a552ff4a97.jpg

Edited by Joshwaggs

Take a picture farther back.  It looks like it might be to low in the tank but the picture may be misleading.  Your rock also looks alittle to white.  New tank????  The lack of coraline algae makes me think so.

Edited by Keraxis

I generally let corals sit in the tank for a month before I start trying to trouble shoot anything. MANY times corals will brown or turn white simply because they are in a new tank. 

I see white rock with a dusting of diatoms surrounding the frag. Diagnosing a change in hard coral color in such a tank due to changes in light seems to be putting the cart before the horse. Good for you for getting it to grow at all.

The tank is fairly new; about 2 months. The coral was doing great in its last tank (a 29 gallon, 4months old, very weak leds, high nitrates). I got a bigger tank and the water is better, and the lights are a lot better. The rocks have a covering of old diatom that has hardened and turned dark brown.

I cant figure out why it isnt doing as well in the new tank.

Since it it not STNing I wouldn't worry about it to much. Let your tank mature a bit and keep your parameters in check and it will likely recover over time. Like was mentioned above the newness of your tank is probably not making it terribly happy but it isn't dying off so I think this turns into a waiting game for you were you are making sure your parameters stay solid.

I like the PE. It's probably just settling in.

I second that.  None of my slimer looks that happy in my 2 year old tank. 

Hight be because it needs adjustment going from keeping it high nutrients then shocking it to low nutrients quickly it should bounce back ok since you have good PE

Hight be because it needs adjustment going from keeping it high nutrients then shocking it to low nutrients quickly it should bounce back ok since you have good PE

I never thought of that. It makes sense.

Thanks all.

I think this is the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk