Advice Needed on Medium-term Storage and Shipping of Coral

Jason Rhoads

I landed my dream job, but it will require a move to Michigan in the near future.

I am going to stay in the hobby, but with a newborn baby and a two-year-old, moving the tank and livestock is not an option (I plan on keeping all the hardware, but selling tanks and lights).  I am interested in selling most/all of livestock and starting over when I get up north, but am considering keeping a few pieces and trying to have them shipped to me once I am set up again.  

I am looking for personal experience and conjecture here as I am not 100% sold on the idea of getting rid of everything (there are a few corals I would like to keep). 

CONGRATS!!!!! We will miss you in this area! Sell it all if its alive, unless you can find someone to hold it and ship once you settle back in. My 2 cents

Congrats on your dream job.  I think you are wise to decouple moving and the reef tank.  Moving reef tanks while moving yourself is a struggle, and often times colonies don't react well.  Moving a reef tank that far away is a big challenge.  Sell your colonies to someone local and work out a deal to have them ship you frags when you get set back up and the tank is stable.  I'll shoot you a pm... I may be interested in certain SPS and have no problem shipping you frags down the road.

Congratulations on the job, Jason. Sorry that you have to move away to get it.

Like Graham said, it's wise to decouple the move from the tank. So much is in flux with a move like this that you don't want to have the urgency of reestablishing your tank add to the burdens that you'll already be faced with overcoming. You've also got a young, growing family. You wouldn't be the first whose priorities changed when life took a new direction.

Memories fade. Take lots of pictures of your livestock, rock work, plumbing, etc.

Sell or get rid of easily replaceable livestock. Rehome the key stuff that you want back with a trusted partner. Get in touch with the local clubs in your new area. Identify new sources of livestock and supplies at the other end.  Keep your key equipment; sell the rest. If the tank is a must-have, keep it; if you're sure that you will either set it up right away or have a place to store it (possibly for a while), then ship it; otherwise, sell it and replace it when you're settled in and ready.

Good luck and, on a final note, THANK YOU for your past help as part of the Tank of the Month team. Your contribution processing the pictures for that feature will be missed. 

Congrats on the new job! Moving is hard enough without dealing with the tank and set up. Sell everything except certain pieces of equiptment since it is such a far move. Maybe state that you will want a good size frag of certain pieces once you get established. We will miss you here on WAMAS...doesn't mean you can't stay a member!

Congrats Jason! If I was not moving...I would be all over your corals...you will not have any issues selling your corals. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Edited by thakki

I would sell it all and get frags back. Shipping large tank raised colonies is expensive and most of the time they don't ship as well as wild and maricultured sps from what I have heard.

Thank you all for the responses and PMs! I decided to go ahead and sell everything as it will be easier than working out a storage arrangement for an undetermined amount of time. As everyone here has said, the move alone will be stressful enough and I am not inclined to subject my livestock to another rushed setup and transfer.

I have already identified a LFS in my new area that can build a new tank, and supply me with the basics.

With all that said, I am not out of here just yet and look forward to staying im the community here for a bit longer :)