Help Identifying growth on frag

Carpathian

I recently received a frag of Candy Apple Zoanthids, but there is something attached to this that is growing. I have attached a photo that was taken when I recieved it last week. Where it looks to be broken off at the top of the "fin" is now grown out and shaped like a complete "fin". Can anyone tell me what it is. It seems to open and close slightly throughout the day like a clam.

Thanks!

post-2635857-0-21040200-1426782473_thumb.jpg

Don't look like candy apples, more like whammin watermelons. Looks like a broken barnicale.

Those are def not CARs.

Agree that those are watermellons or at least not Candy Apples, and I think it's some sort of bivalve, doesnt seem like a barnacle to me. Either way, harmless

Looks like an oyster to me; but could be a mussel or similar bivalve.

If it were a barnacle, you'd see filter-feeding legs come out and rake through the water at some point.

Edited by braden

I had a barnacle kill a coral. They grow bigger and will crush anything in their way.

Using mixed salt or natural sea water? I've never seen one live on mixed salts before.

Appreciate the input from all. After comparing pics, they definately look more like watermelon. Very new to the coral side of this hobby!

After removing the "growth" I believe it looks a lot like a muscle. Attached is a dissected view since I didnt want it in my tank. Overall very this, maybe 1/8" at its thickest.

Again thank you all for the help!

post-2635857-0-60078300-1426807002_thumb.jpg

Got the coral from reefs2go.com...I guess I should be skeptical of what they are naming them. Hopefully the others are correct.

This "muscle" came on the frag.

If its shell was more-or-less cemented to the rock it was an oyster. If it was attached less permanently, it was attached with byssal threads and it was a mussel or related bivalve. (Flame scallops will attach themselves with byssal threads, too.)

Generally, these bivalves are good for your tank. If they're not in a spot you like, they can be relocated safely (if they aren't oysters).

Appreciate the input from all. After comparing pics, they definately look more like watermelon. Very new to the coral side of this hobby!

After removing the "growth" I believe it looks a lot like a muscle. Attached is a dissected view since I didnt want it in my tank. Overall very this, maybe 1/8" at its thickest.

Again thank you all for the help!

Oh no, dont remove things like this. The biodiversity is amazing to observe and so positive for the tank.