When should I get worried?

LCDRDATA

On Saturday I introduced my new leopard wrasse (female) into my tank. She perched under my hammer coral for about a minute and a half and then dove under the sand bed. I haven't seen her since. We had a leopard wrasse in the past, so I know they bury themselves to sleep or when they are stressed. My question (hence the subject of the thread) is when should I get worried? - i.e., how long is too long? I know pretty much where she went in -- although there's obviously no guarantee she's still in the same place -- and I suppose I could probe around, but I don't want to just add to the stress level. The tank is covered (I know they can be jumpers), and there's no sign she's managed to carpet surf, so I'm assuming she's still OK and in the tank. When do I start seriously questioning that assumption? :fish:

She is probably still in the sand where she feels safe. She might be popping out while you're not around. It wouldn't hurt anything if you gently move the sand to search for her. She will probably dart out and hide somewhere else. I had a yellow coris that I didn't see for about three months but while moving a rock he popped out of the sand and to my surprise it looked healthy. I don't know when or what it was eating. 

I'd leave it alone and just keep your typical schedule; no reason to add stress messing around in the tank. It will come out when it's ready and if it didnt make it, well, it's probably long gone already.

They can disappear for a few days when acclimating. I did tons of research on this before I got mine. I was unsuccessful with my first, but so far so good with my second.

Just leave her alone. If you don't see a dead body floating around, she's still alive.

--

Warren

I didnt see mine for a solid week...

Then one day the pellet feeder went off and she rushed it! Guess she ate as many pods as she could and wanted something new...lol

I have quite a few in quarantine now and am a leopard wrasse fanatic. I've had them stay buried upon introduction to qt for more than a month. I have cameras that record all activity to the cloud on these tanks for reference and they won't reappear that entire time. if everything goes smoothly with acclimation they reappear very early in the days and go to bed rather early at night usually and once they get used to having a delicious meal waiting for them throughout the daylight hours they tend to stay "on schedule."

OK, it sounds like I'm well within the "too early to worry about it" window - which I suspected but wanted to be sure about. Thanks all! :bluefish:

(edited)

She's Alive!!   :laugh:

gallery_2631918_1271_90686.jpg

gallery_2631918_1271_151063.jpg

Not the greatest quality, but good enough for this purpose.

Edited by LCDRDATA

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this read, I got mine about 3 weeks ago and hid for a day. Now she has an early schedule as stated above. Up when i get up and asleep when I get home from work lol.