Vodka Dosing - it does work!

hlem

Some of those who are doubting Vodka dosing. here is my result.

I've been dosing vodka for my small tank for while, but it was never bad so i couldnt tell much. 

My big tank had been up and running for a while, but NO3 was always really high for some reason, so I went ahead and started vodka with it a few months back, maybe 2-3 months.

Total water volume is around 300 gallon. 

NO3 - 2 or so months ago - Started with 5-6ml per day. after fews weeks, it didnt do much. so i got pissed and double/tripled/quadruple the dosage every few days to like 1/2 shot. 

IMG_0322.JPG

Continued half shot of vodka for like 1 or so month now and here is the result.

NO3 - few days ago - 

2 different API NO3 test kit. one is new, just bought it 1-2 weeks ago,  and the other one is like 1-2 a year old test kit

IMG_0643.JPG

Edited by hlem

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It works for me. I'm at 20ml a day maintenance dose on my 220 (250 or so volume) and 1ml every other day in the frag system (55 gal volume)

Watch out for Cyno blooms. I prefer the vinegar and Kalk approach. That said many have shared the same success with Volka dosing.

Happy Reefing

Vinegar and vodka are no different in that regard.

Their side affects are .

Awesome man, Your tanked certainly looked nice last time I was over.
I wanted to do Vodka dosing but I have no measurable NO3 or PO4 in my system, but I do have a little bit of algae. 

I wanted to do Vodka dosing but I have no measurable NO3 or PO4 in my system, but I do have a little bit of algae.

Not to hijack, but isn't that out of the ordinary?

i dont think you can not get algae ever. it's always going to be there no matter what you're measurements are. but little is better than lots :)

I've never done either and have only read a couple articles on the matter. What have you observed with the vinegar and had you used vodka in the past? Do they really promote different bacterial growths?

Not to hijack, but isn't that out of the ordinary?

Not really. I don't think my system has much to begin with and the little it does is fixed by the algae.

The weird part is it only grows on my gsp.

Not really. I don't think my system has much to begin with and the little it does is fixed by the algae.

The weird part is it only grows on my gsp.

I think that was the point behind the comment; if there was no phosphate/nitrate, the algae wouldnt be prominent. 

Ive read that some distilleries use coper to filter the vodka. Do you think that coper filtering could leach into the vodka and then into the tank? 

Ive read that some distilleries use coper to filter the vodka. Do you think that coper filtering could leach into the vodka and then into the tank? 

Wow, never heard that before.

I think it might be an older way to filter it but not sure. I know some do have copper pot stills though.

i've been dosing it for months, my inverts are still good :)

what vodka are you using?

Greygoose.... jk..

just some no name brand, cheapest i found. but i think im going to try to switch to vinegar and see what will happen.

what vodka are you using?

Vodka's who distill this way will advertise it on the bottle. They aren't going to distill in a purely frivolous and expensive manner and NOT advertise it.

Vodka's who distill this way will advertise it on the bottle. They aren't going to distill in a purely frivolous and expensive manner and NOT advertise it.

Thats good to know. Good point! didnt think it would be that much more expensive. 

I've searched the web and never found anything other than theory about how vodka dosing works. I'm not casting doubt that it does work but it just seems no one really understands the mechanism.

I've searched the web and never found anything other than theory about how vodka dosing works. I'm not casting doubt that it does work but it just seems no one really understands the mechanism.

I dont know the chemistry behind it, but for me... the colors in my test kit changed to what is more acceptable for my fish and corals, that's all that matters.  and i can assure it was the vodka's doing since i did absolutely nothing else to the tank.