Coral banded shrimp

TrueTricia

I've got one in my tank. He's decent size. The boyfriend showed me some articles where they've been super aggressive in a tank and even killed fish.

Thoughts & experiences?

aquarium7043.png

Watch out for small sleeping fish is what I have heard. As in small gobies and such.

I had a coral banded for a while. He mean mugged my cleaner shrimp, and had a few "go's" at them while lights were out. I sumped him, and promptly got rid of him. I prefer the cleaner shrimp.

I have one.  He only goes after fish that violate his space.  He will eat snails that flip over though.

I had a coral banded for a while. He mean mugged my cleaner shrimp, and had a few "go's" at them while lights were out. I sumped him, and promptly got rid of him. I prefer the cleaner shrimp.

Hmmmmm. Good to know. Thanks!

aquarium7043.png

I've had a large one for a couple years and really like it. It was fine with a couple clowns and a lytrail anthia that were all under 2" at some point. It is in my 40g breeder now, but had him initially in a 29g with the 2 clowns and a 2" yellow watchman goby. It only tries to scare fish away when some food is dropping towards it and a fish is trying to eat the food before it falls to the bottom. It cleans the tank very well for me. It always finds the pellet foods when they fall to the bottom. Mine will actually eat out of my hand. Never seen it eat my snails (unlike my hermits). I haven't added any other shrimps since I read they will go after them.

I have a video on my build 2 tanks 1 room of my coral banded eating snails.

I have one and just bought a pair of juv clowns and noticed he was eying them up this morning.  hopefully they don't become a snack.

I have one and just bought a pair of juv clowns and noticed he was eying them up this morning.  hopefully they don't become a snack.

Oh good luck!  I got mine from dante411.  It was in his tank with a bunch of fish, so I'm hoping this one hasn't developed a taste.  He waves his little claws at my big fish as they go by, but I haven't seen any actual aggression towards anyone.

Oh good luck! I got mine from dante411. It was in his tank with a bunch of fish, so I'm hoping this one hasn't developed a taste. He waves his little claws at my big fish as they go by, but I haven't seen any actual aggression towards anyone.

I'm glad he's alive and well :)

And don't be shy about his size. That thing is a monster.

He never bothered anything in my tank and my snails have reproduced at a rate that's a little alarming. But it was a big tank and he did have a lot of room.

Honestly, if you see him being aggressive, toss that thing. It's worth a fraction of a fish. That was always my plan, but he never managed to kill anything. Did like waving his claws. I never got the te*****lar fortitude to see if he would eat from my hand. I like my fingers a bit too much for that ;)