apcoleman's 250DD

Apcoleman

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good work tony - thanks for the update!

Thanks Marcos!

Sorry, was on my phone and hate typing long things on the phone!

If I ever get a big tank again, it will be a minimal work tank, I want to say FOWLR, but I will still include some easy corals.

Welcome back. This is what I was trying to sell you on when you were trying to sell me on the blue bottles! KISS!

That's what it's all about. Nobody likes extra work, especially if it isn't rewarding. When I mentioned I would have a couple of corals if I went big again, I would pretty much do what you're doing now. I would also do a bunch of montipora along with the frogspawn, and nems!

You nailed it.  Anything going in is an easy/hardy sps.  Montis, birdsnest green slimer etc.  I always have liked the easy sps and got caught up with all the fancy expensive stuff.  If it has a fancy name at this point, I don't want it in my tank haha.

I finally added a rainbow BTA I purchased from Curtis.  I had always wanted one but didn't want to risk it wandering around and stinging all of my sps (don't have to worry about that now :wacko:).  It has been in the tank about a month at this point and has settled in nicely.  It is still on the small side but I am sure to see it grow.  I broadcast feed and it always seems to get a crumb or two each feeding.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

So after debating with myself for a while I bit the bullet and added two 48" T5 strips to the tank to help with some shadowing.  I really like the combo.  I am running one ATI blue plus and one giesemann aquablue azure.  I have enough room to add a third right down the middle and may do so down the road

291273AA-DB19-45AF-A5FF-0211E31CA414_zps

Since taking the KZ Zeovit system offline I have seen great growth and color.  The new SPS have been doing very well and now having a couple of months removed from all of the dosing I am really enjoying the change.  

A9A83BEC-E71C-409A-BA9F-76C760E87C69_zps

In terms of livestock nothing new has been added other than an extremely bright green Hadonni.  This thing glows even with the lights turned off.  I was prepared to treat it with cipro when it arrived but it came in extremely healthy and has settled in nicely.  

8AF36DAB-F877-4A36-A4C5-E183EF419F05_zps

Edited by Apcoleman

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Looking good Tony!!!

much appreciated Frank!

Awesome!

Thanks Isaac.  Found your old build which got me off my butt

best combo...looking good

Thanks Dip!  You running the combo got the wheels turning.  I love your tank

Edited by Apcoleman

much appreciated Frank!

Thanks Isaac.  Found your old build which got me off my butt

Thanks Dip!  You running the combo got the wheels turning.  I love your tank

The pictures are hard to show the difference it made, but the t5 essentially just filled in all the shadows that the LED's created. It really is a great combo.

I keep telling myself one of these days I will use my DSLR to take some pictures that will be better than my iphone.

You are right though, the difference is noticable but not drastic. I was aiming for bulbs that wouldnt completely alter the look of my schedule with the radions. Radions currently come on at 9am and turn off at 9pm. I have the T5s coming on at noon and off at 6.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Any updates?

I have been really busy with work lately but the tank is doing well.  Since my last update I was able to get my Masterflex pump up and running pulling the effluent through the CaRX.  Since that has been running the PH in the CaRX has been steady as a rock.  I had previously been running it off of a manifold which would require adjustments every now and then.  I should have done this from the get go.  Coral growth has continued to be nice and steady.

I have also taken the GFO offline and seen much greater growth in the macro algae.  The fuge is being lit 24/7 by the red biased LED horticultural light.  The system seems to have settled into its own since the Zeovit was taken off line late last year.  Filter socks have also been taken offline.  Changing them out every three days just wasn't going to work with my schedule lately and at this point, they will probably remain off.

Edited by Apcoleman

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Good to hear Tony. Post some more pics when you get a chance.

I am charging up the camera right now and will post some pics later today.

Hey Tony! How about an update?

Everything is going well but the latest update is that my largest female bellus has started the transition to male.  I thought she had started towards the end of last summer but when I added the Regal it completely halted to process.  Her black coloring darkened back up and the blue was even more prominent.  Now the black is very faded along with the blue and the yellow is starting to show.  Aggression hasn't changed between the three but there is very much a hierarchy that has been maintained.  

Edited by Apcoleman

These ladies are very camera shy.  This was the best shot that I could get that shows the difference in color between the one changing and the smaller females.  In person the contrast is much more apparent but you can see the color starting to change for sure.

P1020037_zpsubhnmpne.jpg

The Haddoni has been doing very well and has been fed once a week.  The clowns completely ignore it even though they are less than 8 inches away from it.

P1020030_zpsoo33wovw.jpg

P1020026_zpsrv4iog8p.jpg

A few pics of some corals in the tank 

P1020021_zpsamgmikou.jpg

P1020012_zpsxzblr59k.jpg

P1020017_zpsjmvj3v3h.jpg

P1020006_zpsr2agtotc.jpg

P1020018_zpsbaf97jkx.jpg

P1020002_zps5hygchps.jpg

P1020020_zpsdst0fate.jpg

P1020025_zpsqroe5wbf.jpg

Bellus is continuing its transition to male.  The yellow it really starting to show and the blue and black are continuing to fade.

DSC_7660_zps68crqbr5.jpg

Continuing to document the change.  My photo skills are not good enough to capture the colors of this fish.  The yellow is starting to show on the lateral line of the fish.

DSC_7682_zpskxf50fus.jpg

One of the females to show the contrast

DSC_7696_zpsbjluuszp.jpg

Such a nice tank. Is that flower petal Monti from my 150?

(edited)

Such a nice tank. Is that flower petal Monti from my 150?

It sure is.  One of my favorites.  If you ever want a frag back let me know!

Edited by Apcoleman

It sure is. One of my favorites. If you ever want a frag back let me know!

One of these days, it would take my 6 gallon quick. Tanks looking phenomenal, looking forward to watching it all grow.