Second floor tanks

madweazl

The one on the far right is off a little..........I guess that is to be expected after 9 beers ;)

It isnt off, that is where the stud finder says it is. While I'd like to trust they were on 16" centers, they arent (hence my last comment).

JK! :)

No offense taken bud, I really wish it was me but I even closed one eye when I checked... Not sure who layed them out but dang, they were tuned up something special LOL.

Those cans can serve double purpose by supporting the tanks as well.  Who needs a can crusher?

I was planning on using cinder blocks but this is a much better idea!

It isnt off, that is where the stud finder says it is. While I'd like to trust they were on 16" centers, they arent (hence my last comment).

Can you do a sanity check by marking them from the ceiling below too?  That's a lotta floor joists.

(edited)

I started doing some sanity checks a few hours ago and came up with some crazy results.

I'll start with the vertical wall. Studs are on 16" centers and the horizontal tape line is the blocking. Moving to the ceiling, the solid lines are on 24" centers and the the drywall is taped along those lines. The dashed lines are on 16" centers and run the length of the apartment from wall to wall. Moving to the floor, the solid tape line is the outside dimensions of the tank stand. The dashed line runs the length of the apartment just like the ceiling. The solid line running parallel to the wall (and also the front of the tank/stand) is on top of another joist (I'm assuming) that runs the length of the apartment. These are 16" on center. I also went another 3' off the front of the tank and found two more parallel to the wall that were also 16" on center. These were much easier to locate than the ones I marked with the beer cans last night. I am assuming they're 2x4s (the ones running perpindicular to the wall and under the beer cans) and are there to support the lower floors ceiling (I had to bounce between a depth of 1" and 1.5" to find them. The joists (assumed) were easier to locate and I could typically use 3/4" on the stud finder to locate them.

Note, the wall divideds the apartment building down the center. The wall with the window at the far end of the beer cans is the back wall of the building. It is my assumption that the center wall is load bearing but I dont know this for certain.

20150208_190209_zpsencspv6o.jpg

20150208_190246_zpss9k3dzh0.jpg

floorplan_zpsjvsiwobk.jpg

Edited by madweazl