which sps can touch? can any?

Fritz0id3937

Which sps can grow into each other? I have a green birdsnest, green Monti, stylophora and purple digi all about to grow into each other. Can any spa safely touch each other? They probably got 3 more weeks before growing into each other.

If they of the same species some SPS can touch but that isn't true for all and some must be of the same lineage.

It sounds like it's time to do some trimming. Maybe trade some frags at the next meeting. 

you can create interesting coral designs by gluing similar species together on one rock. montiporas are easy to do this with. you can even train coral to grow in certain directions by making small cuts and eventually a new branch will grow over the cut.

Edited by zygote2k

Where is that "which coral wins" post (sorry, can't remember title) from a few years ago which occisionally gets revived? It's possible that there was a successor... can't remember if it was the same thread last time or an entirely new one.

I don't agree with the broad statements about monti caps. There is usually a very thin line between the two corals that may not be so easy to see. For example the picture of the montis I used to have - on the rock where the bases of the corals are, there is a line between them which you can't see because the corals are blocking the view, and the corals are not touching in any spot, just very close together. The orange monti had a tendancy to encrust faster than the green, hence in a more aggressive battle would probably win the territory.

monti combo

Edited by treesprite

Thanks. I would love to find a which coral wins post. I recently had a green milie kill a small purple digi frag. I saw minstrels between the two, thought I separated the in time but the digi continued to loss flesh and die over the next 3 days.

orange and green cap prob not a good mix due to the orange growing 2x as fast. highlighter,flower petal, and idaho grape did well and grew at nearly the same rate. I still have a flowerpetal and orange cap mixed with Purple Nurple growing together for past 3 years in the 500.

No offense intended here, but you have lots of posts where you are itching to break apart your corals. My advice in nearly every case is just to leave them alone. An exception would be if you really exclusively like the threatened coral, but in general, leave things alone. In a real reef things grow into each other all the time. Eventually something wins. In tanks often monti caps seem to win because they grow so fast and shade things. Sometimes a nice acro gets covered my an encruster or the bland one grows right over the nice one. Just how it goes, imo.

One thing I have concluded is that the anemone always wins. It sits where it wants.

No offense intended here, but you have lots of posts where you are itching to break apart your corals. My advice in nearly every case is just to leave them alone. An exception would be if you really exclusively like the threatened coral, but in general, leave things alone. In a real reef things grow into each other all the time. Eventually something wins. In tanks often monti caps seem to win because they grow so fast and shade things. Sometimes a nice acro gets covered my an encruster or the bland one grows right over the nice one. Just how it goes, imo.

One thing I have concluded is that the anemone always wins. It sits where it wants.

Things that can move, always win over the things that have no choice....

orange and green cap prob not a good mix due to the orange growing 2x as fast. highlighter,flower petal, and idaho grape did well and grew at nearly the same rate. I still have a flowerpetal and orange cap mixed with Purple Nurple growing together for past 3 years in the 500.

You were talking about caps - your examples are not all caps, though they are all montis.