wally's and super pets visits.

rocko918

Well i stopped by Wallys today for the first time since the new era started. I was shocked to see some of the fish prices. For an example a O. clown about 1 in. very small fish, 40 bucks!!! Watchman paired with pistol shrimp 80 bucks. I could go on and on. I was just suprised at the prices. Tanks looked ok, some cloudy but very little movement in the tanks. Had a bunch of condi's with no movement at all.

They do have alot of dry goods and great prices on Tanks. Corals were ok, nothing caught my eye, mostly brown and tan leathers. Clams were 75 i think? only a few corals that were under 25 bucks. Staff was friendy and answered all the questions i had.

Superpets-

They had some really nice fish but no one to help you. A few dead fish here and there. Prices we still high. Coral tank was ok, again nothing my caught my eye. Big price tags on some ugly corals.

These were just my views that i wanted to share.

Superpetz, the scurge of fish stores in my opinion. Dead/starving fish and experienced rudness beyond belief from the emplyees.

I purchased my Oceanic from Superpetz with cap and stand, best deal I could find around here but, for other stuff not my store.

Fins & Feathers is Ashburn has great fish and coral pricing. All healthy.

Guest Edwardj

Super Petz does not have customer service - it's essentially non-existent. It does have a decent supply of dry goods - for intsance, tubo-calc. I agree that Wallly's livestock can be expensive for some - but it's tank prices are unbeatable, and it's customer service is top-notch. They've been updating their tanks and systems, I've seen a huge improvement in the store in the last three months. There's a guy there named Greg who is quite knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Edwardj

Both great sources for live brine shrimp and black worms especially SuperPets

I am not recommending any place, this was just my experience that I had while there and what I saw. I went there because i was helping a college buddy of mine setup a Nano cube and he just wanted some clowns to go in it. I told him they were a good fish to put in there. Then i saw the price.

This is the Vendor Experience section right. :D

I am not recommending any place, this was just my experience that I had while there and what I saw.

This is the Vendor Experience section right. :D

55207[/snapback]

So what your saying is it isn't like the Jimi Hendrix experience? :huh:

So what your saying is it isn't like the Jimi Hendrix experience?  :huh:

55210[/snapback]

Sorry i have no idea what the Jimi Hendrix experience is.

I have come to hate Superpetz. The staff is laregely incompetent, their fish are often in bad health, their pricing never makes any sense and they won't cut you a deal no matter what. I understand the challenges of retail, but I also understand that we live in an age where it is just as easy for customers to get what they need online. In such an age, customer service is even more important.

Wally's is funky, but their heart is in the right place. They are largely knowledgeable and fair with prices on most goods--and especially tanks. I picked up my 75RR from there this weekend. Their tank setup makes little to no sense and prices are ridiculous. You'd have to believe they're missing out on a lot of opportunity that way. I've seen fish that have been in there for six months! The fact that they keep them alive is testament to what a good shop it is. The fact that they're there indicates they've picked a bad price point.

Sorry i have no idea what the Jimi Hendrix experience is.

55211[/snapback]

Blasphemer :D

How dare you say such things of Lord Hendrix.........................JK

LOL

Anton

Guest maestro774

I really don't think Superpetz is that bad if you compare them to Petco or Petsmart, which I consider similar. I've bought a few fish from Super petz and they've been healthy. Prices were good too. Although last time I was there they had just got in a shipment that included a Moorish Idol, which is probably the worst fish for a place like that to sell.

If Wally's lowered their prices, I would do all my shopping there since I'd rather support them than Roozens or Super petz, but right now I'd rather pay less and drive a little farther. I bought a Perc there a few months ago for $28 which is reasonable, but $40 is just too high.

So what your saying is it isn't like the Jimi Hendrix experience? :huh:

He must no be from planet earth:) Whats the Jimi Hendrix experience, man.....I guess I am about 40.

Guest Darwinn69

I remimber stopping by both of thoes stores when I was first looking for a new tank about 3 months. In Super petz I had to go searching for someone to help me with some tanks, and the kid we found wasn't very knowledgable. Prices seemd to be about what I was looking at in Petco. I saw alot of very dead fish, one tadpoll was eating a dead tank mate that was obvisoully dead for a long time. I might pick up some dry good supplies there one day, but doubt I'd ever buy livestock from them.

Then we stoped by Wallys. The prices on the aquariums were the best I've seen hands down. I wasn't there 5 mins before an employee tried to help me which is a good sign. Didn't see any dead/dying fish in any of the tanks, however the selection seemed a little ho-hum...the good stuff might have already been sold. I'll stop back in to check out the livestock again, but for gods sakes they need to fix that sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I stopped at both stores the same day just to see what all the fuzz was about. Basically and in summary "the same old". These are my grades, and read all the way to the end for your options.

Super Pet in Annandale. -

B - great prices and selection in pumps, tanks, power heads, thermostats and other equipment. C - on fish health. -F - on customer service, no matter how nice you try to come across this guy at Super Pet is always the same nasty "don't talk to me" attitude customer service oriented.

Wally's Aquarium

C - on equipment and stock, came to realize that their prices are at least $5 to $10 more per unit compared to Super Pet. F - on fish due to lack of selection and quantity. I could not grade them on customer service since I spent 20 minutes walking the store and no one even said "good afternoon" or "let me know how I can help you", basic ethics on a customer oriented environment.

Dilemma

Now here is a dilemma for all of us. Why support these stores? Why not?

Super Pet in Annandale. -

B - great prices and selection in pumps, tanks, power heads, thermostats and other equipment. C - on fish health. -F - on customer service, no matter how nice you try to come across this guy at Super Pet is always the same nasty "don't talk to me" attitude customer service oriented.

I think I know the guy you're talking about... :rolleyes:

Good summary btw

Guest KidCNU

Went to Wally's a week ago, coral was all dead or brown and to me it seemed way over priced just my two cents on wally's

Guest alex wlazlak

hah. at super petz i asked the dude at the register if they take wamas cards, and some guy rite behind him buts right in and rudly says nope.... theyre big tanks that have freshwater fish in them have this nasty kind of algea in them are a biggggg turnoff to customers..-or atleast me..

Superpetz has two Kole Tangs, too bad I won't buy from them. They looked kinda peaked anyway. The only good part of the store is taking my two year old daughter to see all the animals.

I'll wait for another store to get one in stock.

super pets has great prices on tanks. The guy you are talking about is one of the owners. He is a real jerk.

walleys sucks they don't have any thing worth a darn in my opion

Brian

I don't know who the owners are, but I always see the same lady behind the register, a bald guy (he was cool with me), and a guy with a mullet-like cut. (no offense if you have a mullet)

I found prices on tanks to be better at Superpetz, but the staff to be friendlier at Wally's.

I've bought from both but have stopped buying from Super Petz. In my opinion, they are way too rude.

I like going to Wally's for equipment. And, the guys there are very friendly and like to help.

I am going to go check out F&F this weekend.

Superpetz has two Kole Tangs, too bad I won't buy from them. They looked kinda peaked anyway. The only good part of the store is taking my two year old daughter to see all the animals.

I'll wait for another store to get one in stock.

I got in 2 beautiful Kole tangs Tuesday med & large

John

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am so happy to read all the negative comments about Sub-Super Pets. I had an experience there about 8 months ago that made me furious and I have not been back since. The problem I have is I love to stop in fish stores if I am ever in the area. That is the one store which I will not allow myself to go to.

I was at the store one day I was comparing prices for a 210 reef ready oceanic. They had a better price then Walleys and as it turns out in the end Roozens had a better price then both stores. I found this out after the fact.

I purchased the tank and a couple of other things from them. In all I spent over $1000. I don't remember the guy who I was working with, but I think he dates the female manager. We worked out that he would deliver the tank to my place and help me with some basic setup. We discussed what he would charge and set a date for him to deliver the tank. The date came and then went. I called him up and he apologized and we set up another time. I couldn't believe it, but it happend again. I consider myself pretty patient but I was getting a bit annoyed. I had already paid for the tank.

After this happend I called them up and told them that I would just come and pick up the tank and wanted to make sure they would have it ready. I drove right from work and told them I was here to pick up the tank. (One quick note, I got off work at 2 pm and had to go back to work at 10:30 PM so I ussually like relaxing a bit between shifts. I went to the back to put the tank in my truck with one of the young co-workers. We started putting it in the truck when someone came from the front and said I had to go to the front before I put it in my truck.

When I went up front they said they needed to see my reciept before they could give me the tank. I told them I didn't have my reciept because I wasn't planning on picking it up, but that they should have an invoice(after all you don't deliver an unpaid tank). They told me I would have to go home and get my reciept before they would give me my tank. As I said earlier I consider myself pretty patient but at this point I think I had smoke coming out of my ears. I told them I would not drive 25 minutes home for a tank that I already bought and paid for. I told the lady to speak with the guy I bought it from. When I looked at him I think he turned into a shrew or some small animal and said he wasn't sure if I actually bought the tank. They said they could cancel the sale and I told them lets call my credit card and we could confirm it. They then said they will get to me when they are done with the customers that where there. I aked them how much you had to spend before you were a customer. To make a long story long; I ended up waiting about 1 hour and was at the store over two hours before I got my tank. When it was all done I spoke with every employee and told them that what happend was a perfect example of how not to treat a customer and I let as many shoppers there know about the experience.

Wow you are all really good listeners. Now I guess I can stop seeing my sych over the incident.

What a horrible experience. Yeah, I don't buy at Super Pets anymore.

I got a good laugh out of them once: I walked around the store and came across dogs clothing... you know, coats for winter. Then I saw the sign they had posted there. If anybody whould go there, check out that sign. Perfect example of that store management's mentality. LOL