Ati 10x80w talk

08can-am

I am considering purchasing an ATI sunpower 8x80 but wanted some feedback from anyone that has or is running either a 8 bulb or 10 bulb. It would be on my 300 and the way its scaped there isnt anything along the front or back of the tank. Most of my scape is along the center. just looking at the two would there be a huge difference in the area lit up or would along the front ( say 6-8" off the glass) be ok for softies, lps, zoas ect. Ive never ran a nice light fixture so i dont know what to expect one compared to the other(8 or 10 bulb and powermodule to sunpower) thanks

I had a 10 x 80 over my 300 with good coverage.  I had lps at the bottom and edges (5 ft fixture, 6 ft tank).  The general recommendation is 1 bulb per 3" as mike said. 

I think an 8 x 80 might be a little dim in the front and back....might want to consider 2 6 bulb units as suggested.  There is a significant difference in quality of the materials used in the powermodule versus the sunpower.  That said, there is very little practical difference in light output.  

You can grow anything with that light... BTW I have a buddy who has a ATI powermodule hybrid 8x80 watt T5 & 4x75W LED clusters for sale, if you are interested, let me know.

You can grow anything with that light... BTW I have a buddy who has a ATI powermodule hybrid 8x80 watt T5 & 4x75W LED clusters for sale, if you are interested, let me know.

You can pm me the details. I think itll be out of my range.

I am running an 8x80 over my tank with no issues. I'm sure if you centered the light over the tank you would be fine. I can grow anything in every part of the tank.

I am running an 8x80 over my tank with no issues. I'm sure if you centered the light over the tank you would be fine. I can grow anything in every part of the tank.

Your tank is what put the wheels in motion to make a change.

I have a 4x80 over my 125 gallon. Biggest problem for me is getting bulbs shipped that don't come broken. I have found no local stores that sell them. It usually takes 2-3 tries before I get them all no broken. If I had to do it again I would go all LED. On a 10x80 light you are talking $250/year for bulbs alone as well. LEDs don't dim over time.

the 8x80 8-10 above tank would work very well for your described set up. toss two reefbrites on there (one of each end front and back) and you got yourself a stunning display.

LEDs definitely dim over time.

I had read they stay fairly constant over their life. Do you know the rate they dim? I know T5HOs have to be replaced annually if used for photo-synthetic life (as apposed to just viewing your tank). I'd be curious to see some testing where LEDs have lost enough intensity (and one would assume spectrum) so as to impair growth. I don't have a PAR meter so I can't test myself.

These links will help you out.  They don't dim as fast as T5s, MHs, PCs, etc., but they DO dim.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/middle-tennessee-reef-club/137359-loss-light-emitting-diodes-intensity-over-time-light-emitting-diodes-vs-t5-two-topics-one.html

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/10296

and this is really the best source:

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/XLamp%20Application%20Notes/LM80_Results.pdf

It looks like, on average, LEDs lose 1% intensity every 1200 hours.

1200 hours

@ 8hrs/day = 150 days

@ 10hrs/day = 120 days

@ 12hrs/day = 100 days

@ 14hrs/day = 85 days

etc.

Thanks for that. Very educational. It looks like they lose brightness a bit but not much of their spectrum. Which is probably better. To put this in perspective I'll look for a comparative chart for T5HO lights. Perhaps ATI has some similar testing report.