Brad's Mangrove Sanctuary

brad908

Make sure the structure doesn't float before you get too far into the build.  That black pond foam is shockingly buoyant even with rock attached to it.  It's also kind of shockingly expensive, given how little you get in the can, in my limited experience with it.

Yup. I don't think floating will be a problem, I haven't used much. Most of it is super glue and epoxy, just used the black foam to fill in some areas. The biggest spot with the foam is on that ramp in the back. I have to seal that off so none of the sand goes under the rest of the eggcrate and fills the cave with sand. 

I was thinking of putting a few rocks under the ramp anyway, so I don't have to use ton's of sand to fill in that area.

Oh Mondecino.. I went there last trip to CA . :).. went up to Fort Bragg.. (glass beach.)

nice~

I can't go to glass beach anymore, pisses me off. People sitting on the beach filling bags and containers with glass when you aren't allowed to take it. I will say they could increase the signage to try and stop this. You would only know you couldn't take the glass if you read it on the internet, or one of the general information signs when you first get to the park. But there are no signs around the stairs down to the beach.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Yup. I don't think floating will be a problem, I haven't used much. Most of it is super glue and epoxy, just used the black foam to fill in some areas. The biggest spot with the foam is on that ramp in the back. I have to seal that off so none of the sand goes under the rest of the eggcrate and fills the cave with sand. 

I was thinking of putting a few rocks under the ramp anyway, so I don't have to use ton's of sand to fill in that area.

Just "foam" it to the bottom of the tank. It'll stick to glass and will take a lot of hand strength to come off, but when you need it to, it comes off cleanly. I was really empressed by the holding power of it in my build. It also shouldn't float with how many rocks you have on. Mine didnt and Im sure I used more foam than rocks.

Edited by SunWyrm

(edited)

I swear it's only this thread I get double posts.

It's also kind of shockingly expensive, given how little you get in the can, in my limited experience with it.

Very much so! I got less than a square foot out of one can.

Edited by SunWyrm

Another foam can is being delivered today, should be able to finish up the scape tonight and start cycling it.

Progress

tank%200730_zpslatgnd4w.jpg

tank%200730%20v2_zpsj0g6kgqs.jpg

tank%200730%20v3_zpsjpbqrhl1.jpg

I have now sealed off the deep sand portion completely from getting into the cave. I have rocked one side of the inside of the cave and added rock to the front right vertical wall

Update?

Yeah, any update?

I've gotten lazy. Basically all the rocks have been glued down, I just need to start working on covering the black foam and get it cycling. I hope to start on the stand within the next two weeks.

The NanoBox DUO is with Dave getting repainted all white and having white LED's installed. Looking forward to seeing how LED will grow the mangroves

I will take pics tonight.

Tank is done being built, but it was built in Asia. Will be on a container next Monday, and arrive at SC Aquariums warehouse in 3-4 weeks. Hoping to have this tank around 9/12.

I will check it out.

fts%200818_zpsoczg7y1x.jpg

macro%200818_zps1at9vatz.jpg

I'm obsessed with the pinecone algae lol

Just got some rolls of film back, forgot I finished a roll with a few tank shots

20062931984_2a774f94e2_c.jpg77980031 by Brad Baldwin, on Flickr

20659235356_a1f32067b1_c.jpg77980032 by Brad Baldwin, on Flickr

20659234076_f1d3b8b8e0_c.jpg77980033 by Brad Baldwin, on Flickr

Looks like it had trouble focusing with the glare on the glass

Got a preview pic. Hope it is here within the next 3 weeks

57346B6C-368C-49C1-BC09-CE7CCFCB9AE3_zps

Hopefully be here in 3 weeks

• 4 weeks later...

Started on the stand

7AC374F2-CE96-43A7-A2EB-8E44AA248295_zps

This is how the tank will look, same 48" length as the two combined but 2" shorter in height than the pictured tank, and 2" more depth.

C8BA6D52-5F78-4C19-BC35-4FE0DD0EE207_zps

Edited by brad908

Tank is finally being delivered to SCA Aquariums next week! Sunday will mark 2 months since payment. Monday will be 9 weeks since payment, lead time was 7-8 weeks. Probably be 10 weeks in total by the time it gets to me, so not terribly off schedule. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tank yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the start of some nice ramification there. I keep a couple of bonsai trees and the concept is the same, selective clipping to develop an interesting branch structure.

Got the tank yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was delivered to SCA yesterday. The original plan was to drive down to LA and pick it up, but the tank came way later than expected and I am pretty much booked every weekend this month. Waiting for them to come back about shipping up here.

Looks like the start of some nice ramification there. I keep a couple of bonsai trees and the concept is the same, selective clipping to develop an interesting branch structure.

Thanks. I really need to get some aluminum wire and start shaping the branches. 

Bonsainut.com is a great resource. I have a good base for a tree that started ramifying 9 months ago, and is still pliable. I'm working on that to a more traditional bonsai potting, but obviously with much higher water content. I'll grow it inside this winter, but outside in summer. It generally takes a while for a tree to get into shape - the tree is only put into its final display pot once it's finished. I'm putting that to the test with my experiment. Generally with bonsai the easiest way to do that is to put it in the ground and train it there for 5 years - pot growing is much slower (no pun intended). Obviously with mangroves we are limited but you may have great luck in California growing one outside in a very muddy pot, you should give it a shot!

Bonsainut.com is a great resource. I have a good base for a tree that started ramifying 9 months ago, and is still pliable. I'm working on that to a more traditional bonsai potting, but obviously with much higher water content. I'll grow it inside this winter, but outside in summer. It generally takes a while for a tree to get into shape - the tree is only put into its final display pot once it's finished. I'm putting that to the test with my experiment. Generally with bonsai the easiest way to do that is to put it in the ground and train it there for 5 years - pot growing is much slower (no pun intended). Obviously with mangroves we are limited but you may have great luck in California growing one outside in a very muddy pot, you should give it a shot!

I tired to grow a few mangroves outside but my dog got to them haha. I definitely want to try again though as mangroves do grow so much quicker outside and in freshwater. 

(edited)

Got busy with work and traveling back to NJ to visit family and forgot to pay for the rest of the tank until today. Tank will be shipped today, or tomorrow at the latest. It is coming from LA, so it shouldn't take too long to get here.

I've been majorly slacking though, I still have to finish covering all the black foam and finish the stand. Hopefully I can start this on Thursday night and finish over the weekend.

I'm also debating transplanting the mangroves. Right now I have 8 in that 8" cube and I am a little worried about the roots starting to choke each other out. I was thinking of picking my 4 nicest mangroves and replanting them, then acclimating the other 4 for freshwater and planting them outside.

My worry is damaging the roots during a transplant. They've been in the cube for a year now, so I assume the roots are already pretty tangled up. Do I let nature take its course and let the strong mangroves survive, or break open the cube and gently separate them? Decisions....

Edited by brad908