Brad's Mangrove Sanctuary

brad908

If you are going to go to all the trouble to set this up why not have a little larger tank so the roots can grow and you can see them below and above the water. A larger water body will also be easier to take care of, less fluctuations in temp and salinity. Something like a 2' x 2' x1'. or if you have a bar top or a long sofa table build something like a 36"x 18" x 12", or cut down a 55g that is 48" x 12" x 21" to only 12" high?

Doing this as a zero cost build, using everything I already have. Only spending money on the mangroves, fish, sand, and inverts.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing this as a zero cost build, using everything I already have. Only spending money on the mangroves, fish, sand, and inverts.

That works.

Cube

79778BB1-BA3B-4A23-90C5-736E4DE08B96_zps

Or

Rectangle

82284C33-4878-4354-B4F5-1587113F9F77_zps

I will be building a stand. I'm leaning towards the cube, but like the 12" height of the rectangle a little better

18x10.6x12 :clap:

Really? I do like the lower height, but feel like it looks so small on that wall.

I will let the mangroves do the deciding. Have a bunch of different sizes/ages coming over the next week.

Really? I do like the lower height, but feel like it looks so small on that wall.

I will let the mangroves do the deciding. Have a bunch of different sizes/ages coming over the next week.

How tall are you going to keep the mangrove? i think the taller tank will over power it.

How tall are you going to keep the mangrove? i think the taller tank will over power it.

I have 10 16" ones coming and 3 24-29" ones coming. The 3 24-29" ones are a year old and have insane roots.

I have 10 16" ones coming and 3 24-29" ones coming. The 3 24-29" ones are a year old and have insane roots.

Taller ones in the taller tank, shorter ones in the shorter tank....problem solved.

Taller ones in the taller tank, shorter ones in the shorter tank....problem solved.

We will see. :ph34r:

I have two extra nanobox's still. Plenty of options besides another mangrove tank

Edited by brad908

We will see. :ph34r:

I have two extra nanobox's still. Plenty of options besides another mangrove tank

My wife thinks I have a problem...

My wife thinks I have a problem...

That is because you are a newlywed.........my wife KNOWS I have a problem, but still loves me!....I think :laugh:

One was free :)

One is for FW planted, and one is being converted into the ATI fixture (my original one).

Also found a 12" build my led fixture in this move, that apparently I never unpacked after the DC move.

Lighting for dayssssss

Edited by brad908

Gonna so some flat leaf caulerpa on the sand bed. Gonna be emerald crab heaven

Edited by brad908

ok this is a tree for seahorses, I am interested, and where do i get a small tree if I go for it? and what about lights?

eBay is a good spot. Just search "mangrove plant" or "red mangrove". T5 or halide is best, high light will make them really thrive. But you can get away with a cheap grow light or par30 bulb.

Edited by brad908

So what kind of camera do you bring to Home Depot? :blink:

Full studio set up. Flash, umbrellas, everything.

Edited by brad908