Ideal Rockscape for SPS packed RC-TOTM worthy SPS tank?

Ryan S

You know the SPS packed RC TOTM tanks?  What do their rockscapes underneath look like?  Is the stair method, like this, generally what those tanks use to get in the most SPS colonies into their tanks?  (side shot below)gallery_2631706_3_18762.jpg

Edited by Ryan S

Isaac started a thread a while back about inspirational tank pics that had a lot of different pictures of set up for tanks.

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/69003-some-inspirational-aquascapes/

I call that layout the "fruit stand". too uniform IMO

The rocks alone, are too uniform, but once it's all filled in with large sps colonies, do you still think it's too uniform?  Like this below, it's hard to tell what the rockscape is underneath imo?

gallery_965_1344_27582.jpg

That one is not too bad, there was one picture I had commented on that was so even it did not look good to me. Perfectly even stair steps with almost the exact same type of acros growing......Don't get me wrong, they were beautiful acros, just not my cup of tea. I want to try and recreate what I see when I dive.

BTW, maybe everyone knows this already, but it seems like you can get a coral, at least a staghorn, to grow a branch where you want by causing just a little damage to a corallite.  I've been doing it by accident recently.  Makes the staghorns in the "fruit stands" take on some nice structure instead of being too leggy.

The rocks alone, are too uniform, but once it's all filled in with large sps colonies, do you still think it's too uniform?  Like this below, it's hard to tell what the rockscape is underneath imo?

The wall of rock lacks the "elements", like negative space, that provide a striking aquascape.  Every method has its strengths and weaknesses.  For example, the minimalist method, which contrasts the wall of rock, allows the hobbyist to be creative with negative space, but severely limits the number of corals in the system.

• 6 months later...

In my tank (found here: (http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/157-tank-of-the-month)

I have built a rack out of 1/2 in CPVC and egg crate shelves that looks a lot like the picture in the original post.  This allows good water flow behind the rock work but still gives the impression of having a full stack of rock.  Plus you do not need to purchase nearly as much rock.

Bruce

Thanks.  I was so flattered to me selected.  It is a huge honor.

Bruce

Good grief, Bruce.  Holding out on us, Mr. ReefCentral TOTM May 2015.  It's awesome.

I think an upper layer with open spaces above a lower layer that is further forward than the upper layer (for lower light corals), is the best way to go.

Thanks. I was so flattered to me selected. It is a huge honor.

Bruce

Congrats Bruce. You have earned that honor. Your tank is amazing.

The wall of rock lacks the "elements", like negative space, that provide a striking aquascape. Every method has its strengths and weaknesses. For example, the minimalist method, which contrasts the wall of rock, allows the hobbyist to be creative with negative space, but severely limits the number of corals in the system.

I went with the minimalist look and I love it, but I have run out of space.