prophylatic meds for a fish only quarantine tank?

astroboy

I'm setting up a quarantine tank, fish only, I won't ever be putting corals or inverts into it. Does anyone have recommendations on prophylactic meds?

Thanks. 

• 1 year later...

Somebody bought a bunch when fins and feathers closed down, can't remember who, but somebody local has a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont trust ebay b/c there have been reports of some ineffective batches being sold - so the purity is not certain.  According to some forum experts, you can get a vet to write a prescription but the pharmacy may be hit or miss on weather you get the pills which may contain other filler chemicals, or the pure powder.  I would like to obtain the pure powder, obviously. I've now had a tang die after going fallow for 72 days so I want to treat in a QT before going in the display.  I have a new bottle of Prazipro ready to go as of today but want the CP as well.  Tired of losing fish

I was hoping to get the pure CP from a known pharmacy.  How many grams? I dont know, I want it for my QT tank.  I have NLS but according to Humblefish on reef2reef:

NLS Ick Shield contains CP sourced from China. There is both a powder form (for QT use only) and "medicated" pellets (for DT use). The latter is useless for parasite eradication but may be useful for disease management purposes. As useful as garlic or any of those herbal remedies anyway. clear.png The former would be unreliable IMO because CP sourced from China is not always consistent. Maybe it's 90% pure, 95% pure or 99% pure. IME; CP is only reliable for external parasite eradication when it is 99% pure. The best way to ensure you are getting 99% pure is to only buy from an American or Canadian pharmacy which adheres to strict govt. regulations when it comes to medications meant for human consumption. CP is used to treat malaria - many tourists begin taking Chloroquine prophylactically before visiting Africa. That guy who shot the lion probably has a stash. clear.png

I bought some off ebay, but haven't used it.  Monkiboy may have a better source.

I dont trust ebay b/c there have been reports of some ineffective batches being sold - so the purity is not certain.  According to some forum experts, you can get a vet to write a prescription but the pharmacy may be hit or miss on weather you get the pills which may contain other filler chemicals, or the pure powder.  I would like to obtain the pure powder, obviously. I've now had a tang die after going fallow for 72 days so I want to treat in a QT before going in the display.  I have a new bottle of Prazipro ready to go as of today but want the CP as well.  Tired of losing fish

just seeing this post, pardon the delay.

I've worked closely with a few retailers and wholesalers and all are getting their CP from china. I've had samples tested through the years and some are more reliable than others for their purity. some are able to offer a 99% assay with their product but that still leaves me uncertain from which batch and what I actually end up getting.

I looked into the china product offerings and it's usually around $34 for a kilo shipped which is significantly cheaper than what one pays going through a compounding pharmacy. I've worked with a friend in a pathology lab and with great contributing members on RC and R2R and consensus is as recommended above - to get it either from a reputable veterinary pharmacy or order it from Canada.

in regards to selling it, be aware it is illegal because it is an FDA controlled substance, requiring a prescription to obtain. how folks like fishman and the ebay "CP bandit" are selling, I imagine DEA/FDA just have bigger things on their plate.

in regards to selling it, be aware it is illegal because it is an FDA controlled substance, requiring a prescription to obtain. how folks like fishman and the ebay "CP bandit" are selling, I imagine DEA/FDA just have bigger things on their plate.

Had no idea.  That's where I bought it.  Interesting.

great info!  I just lost a $70 fish after 1 fallow period and and 2 weeks.  I would gladly pay the $50 for a few doses.

So far, I've called several vets. Waiting for a callback on 3 and 2 said they wouldnt do it b/c I'm not a patient.  Seems to be quite difficult to obtain!  I do have some Ich Shield on hand so maybe that will have to do.

just seeing this post, pardon the delay.
I've worked closely with a few retailers and wholesalers and all are getting their CP from china. I've had samples tested through the years and some are more reliable than others for their purity. some are able to offer a 99% assay with their product but that still leaves me uncertain from which batch and what I actually end up getting.
I looked into the china product offerings and it's usually around $34 for a kilo shipped which is significantly cheaper than what one pays going through a compounding pharmacy. I've worked with a friend in a pathology lab and with great contributing members on RC and R2R and consensus is as recommended above - to get it either from a reputable veterinary pharmacy or order it from Canada.

honestly I cant be certain.  It didnt show Ich symptoms but it was the first fish after a 72 day fallow period. It LOOKED like ich the first time.  

The last fish was a blonde naso which never was a great eater. I never saw it take any food and I tried a variety, including nori.  It seemed ok for the first week then the 2nd week seemed to get more shy.  It stopped eating and was unable to swim after a couple days towards the end.  It lived w/o swimming for about 3 days.  Maybe longer b/c I'm not very observant at times.

The reason I want to use CP is for quarantine.  Seems to be the most effective way to go along w/Prazipro.  

The reason I want to use CP is for quarantine.  Seems to be the most effective way to go along w/Prazipro.  

Be aware of possible secondary infections that could present itself due to the use of CP.  Most meds including CP have inherit strengths and weaknesses.