Practical Plumbing

YHSublime

Well, talks of plumbing have started, so here it is. Of course I jump into something without thinking about how I'm going to plumb it, so I figure I better start planning, as I've got less than 2 months to really throw it together. I'm wondering about a return. I would really rather not go over the top, and I've only used durso before. Talk to me y'all. Should I go straight dirty and just do 90 degrees?

Miracles 180, 72x24x25

3 holes drilled in the back wall.

100_4553sized_zps86d93f5b.jpg

100_4561sized_zpsa564f37b.jpg

The tank will sit up against the wall, similar to the way my tank currently is. I have planned for an additional 3" or so out the back, but it will be tight as I'd like to get as much space as possible. Once it is there, it is there.

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!! is that your new tank and where it is going ?

Or is that your new tank as it is being removed from it's former home?

Slow the roll there new homeowner.... :laugh:

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!!! is that your new tank and where it is going ?

Or is that your new tank as it is being removed from it's former home?

Slow the roll there new homeowner.... :laugh:

Second one

Maybe an internal overflow with a Bean Animal or a Herbie overflow?  Since it is already drilled.  If it was not drilled I would go with an external overflow.

Do Not...and I repeat Do Not do an over the top overflow. I would maybe ask Rob what you need for clearance in the back, but I think you might need, or want  4" -5" in the back, but I could be wrong.

That's what she.....

Or never mind......

See what I did there.....

You are not the only one with a childish mind.  My kids are now at the age  (teenagers) where they are watching reruns of South Park and the Simpsons, so I have an excuse. :rolleyes:

Edited by DuffyGeos

Yeah, figured someone would say I'd need more clearance.

Better to plan that now before you move in and you are still in your honeymoon phase......just sayin.......

It would be nice to be able to get your arm back there to change or adjust anything like a valve or a bulkhead. Set it up and show your wife you can't reach back there, and if something were to happen it is not your fault since your want to move it out 5"-6"... record the talk. You both will be happier in the end if you can ge to things instead of draining your whole tank since you can't reach everything. I would literally do a dry run to make sure you can get to everything before you fill it.

Look at D2Mini's second set up on ReefCentral. He has a coast to coast.

He also has it plumbed into a garage doesn't he?

He also has it plumbed into a garage doesn't he?

Yup, but it could have just as easily gone below the tank. He just happened to back up to his garage. I am doing double Herbie's (one on each end) that will both go to a sump below the tank.

I would avoid an internal overflow box at all costs. When I had my tank made I could only get an internal box, and I hate it.

Why is that?!

I personally don't like the internal overflows since they take up space in the tank, clutter up the tank, and cast a shadow line from the lighting across the back. Externals take up more space, but I think are worth it.

I think, and I maybe wrong, that you would have a hard time installing an external with the holes drilled at that height. Also they would probably suck up fish and inverts. Maybe you could put a screen on them, but that could set you up for a clogging situation.

My external is acrylic and the side of the tank is routered out with a lower overflow to the external box which keeps the water level higher.

An internal would allow you to keep a higher water height- for your new existing tank that is glass and predrilled.

Edited by DuffyGeos

I was originally thinking an internal overflow box, coast to coast.

I was originally thinking an internal overflow box, coast to coast.

Probably your best solution based on the tank.

I used to work on that tank. I didn't put that scratch there, honest.

My recommendation for this would have been a single return in the center and 2 drains. External Durso's with strainer screwed in at 90 deg will work great. Trim hid the waterline.

How much turnover do you need in the system? Could you do a narrow external if you run it all low flow with small-ish pipes and bulkheads?

I used to work on that tank. I didn't put that scratch there, honest.

Now I know who to blame. It shouldn't be bad once I get some water in there... I hope. Tank should speak loudly, so I don't plan on it standing out.

My recommendation for this would have been a single return in the center and 2 drains. External Durso's with strainer screwed in at 90 deg will work great. Trim hid the waterline.

That's good advice, sir, and easier than I was expecting. I was going to drill a hole for the return.

Issac that is nice man! That the new digs?

Nah, that's the tanks old digs when it got put in. Here's the real deal in two tanks, one room, FOR REAL!

656a70bdd944f560f9622cddd760094d.jpg656a70bdd944f560f9622cddd760094d.jpg

How much turnover do you need in the system? Could you do a narrow external if you run it all low flow with small-ish pipes and bulkheads?

I'd rather not. I'm looking for a high flow jam.

I would avoid an internal overflow box at all costs. When I had my tank made I could only get an internal box, and I hate it. 

I would too.

My internal set up is 17 years old. Even though it's a small internal box by comparison, I still wish from an optical view it had been different the whole time.

I use 2 x2" drains that are underwater inside the box that flow out to a sloping T. I have a riser tube on the external part above the tank with a vent hole and the drains are whisper silent with 2500 PLUS gph.