Alkalinity number chasing

gmerek2

I have had a doser now for alkalinity for a few months. My alk has stayed at 10dkH and things have never been better but Red Sea reef foundation recommends 12.1-12.6dkH for growth. I have noticed that WAMAS seems to run alk a lot lower than this. WHY???!!!

Because Red Sea wants to sell you additives. Natural seawater is 7dkh. Acceptable range is usually considered 7-13dkh

From the discussions I've seen many people here prefer 9 to give leeway either direction or close to 7 to minic natural seawater.

I rarely see people running that high of an alk on any forum, but I'm sure there are some.

Because Red Sea wants to sell you additives.

+1

Live Aquaria is another good example of influencing people into buying supplements in every description of their corals for sale. There's nothing wrong with it, just not needed.

I have always been a strong believer in what ever Randy Holmes Farley advises.  He recommends between 7 and 11.

He also says that you can go higher as long as calcium is not suppressed.  I would stay at 10.  I get very good growth at that level.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Here is another article from RHF on alkalinity.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

Good luck,

Bruce

I have had a doser now for alkalinity for a few months. My alk has stayed at 10dkH and things have never been better but Red Sea reef foundation recommends 12.1-12.6dkH for growth. I have noticed that WAMAS seems to run alk a lot lower than this. WHY???!!!

I think you have answered your own question.."My alk has stayed at 10dkH and things have never been better"

Don't scr_w with success.

I run 8-9.5

The reason I run 10 is for safety.  I check my parameters once a week.  I figure at 10, I am close to the middle (maybe a bit high for growth).  If I swing one way or another, I will not get out of the 7-11 range before I catch the problem.  My biggest problem is that when the corals take off, the Alk tends to drop over time.  If I get down to 8 or so, I can adjust my reactors to bring it back up to 10.  If I was running at 8, I might not catch the drop before going below 7.  Once below 7, I have experienced bleaching.

Bruce

An interesting and helpful thread. I've been trying to keep mine at 7 which means it is frequently between 6 and 7. Reading these comments it now seems obvious I should have been keeping it higher to allow for the drop. d'oh!

Edited by Rob A

I try to keep mine on the low end. If it's balanced with calcium, that should put calcium below 420. High calcium equals more frequent pump cleaning, and I've never observed any difference in growth rates by having it high. Consistency is key.