Where to buy my first live stock?

thakki

This is my first posting here on this forum. I have been on ReefCentral for a month now...started cycling my tank with live rock and sand...its complete now. I am planning on adding some live stock this weekend. I am in the northern va area...can you please suggest a good place for me to buy some fish (possibly clowns pair) locally?

Current Tank:

- 72 gallon bowfront - 4 ft long

- Deep water HOB protein skimmer

- Live Rock and Sand

- Water Parameters - 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10-20 ppm Nitrates (planning on changing 20% water in a day or 2)

Welcome to WAMAS, you should become a member it will be the best $20 you will spend in this hobby. Where are you located at?

We have a LFS locator in the top right...

Also,

As JR-Tanked150 mentioned, paying the $20 membership will get you into the for sale section, where other local hobbyist sell everything from livestock to equipment...

But depending on your location...there are more hobbyists than LFS in most cities,lol there are a few very good LFS' in NOVA though!

Totally agree with joining the club.  There are often members selling livestock, especially clowns.  Buying "used" fish usually means that they have been quarantined and settled into their aquarium life for quite a while.

You are lucky to be in VA, where you have great shops like Blue Ribbon Koi.  Others can chime in about their favorite shops in NoVa.

My personal favorite locally is Exotic Reef Creations.  They have a rigorous quarantine protocol, and treat their customers like royalty.  They are located here in MD, but have started making dropoffs in VA.

There are at least several good stores, it depends on what part of town you live in.  Unless you like driving a lot, I'd pick the nearest couple of stores with good reviews by the Wamas folks, and especially talk to some WAMASers that live close to you.  They'll know the details on each store.

Totally agree with joining the club.  There are often members selling livestock, especially clowns.  Buying "used" fish usually means that they have been quarantined and settled into their aquarium life for quite a while.

You are lucky to be in VA, where you have great shops like Blue Ribbon Koi.  Others can chime in about their favorite shops in NoVa.

My personal favorite locally is Exotic Reef Creations.  They have a rigorous quarantine protocol, and treat their customers like royalty.  They are located here in MD, but have started making dropoffs in VA.

+1 on the Exotic Reef Creations (ERC) note. I love the quarantine process they have in place . They can also get fish based upon what you want vice having to settle for what is in stock. (Not saying your LFS store won't do this as well though)

Welcome to WAMAS, you should become a member it will be the best $20 you will spend in this hobby. Where are you located at?

I am in NOVA - Gainesville area.

Pay the $20 and join. Then you will have access tothe For Sale /WTS/ Free  Members only Forum and can look for people that are selling clowns , usually for almost half of retail. Or go to the top Left under About WAMAS and look for the LFS Map (local fish store). It will guide you to all the stores in your area. Manassas has Incredible Corals, and Blue Ribbon Koi, both great store.

Oh good...so Manassas ara has artfully acrylic/incredible corals...blue ribbon Kai (brk)...then Springfield has quantum reefs...all fairly close...as long as you don't get stuck in traffic,lol

Thanks for all the kudos folks!

Thakki - we'll get you taken care proper. Shoot me a PM when you're ready. I'd be glad to work through a stocking plan with you.

also when your picking clowns ...there are many kinds...stay away from tomato or maroons cause it will be much harder to add any fish later since they are the most aggressive.

i have 4 oscelaris (least aggressive cept my b&w which seem more aggressive than my maroons lol..although its only targeted towards me) clowns in mine...2 orange and white and 2 black and white...got all as juveniles so they all stay together fine..

once you have an pair in there it will be hard to add more...there are also designer clowns that you get great deals on wamas..

if this was a dog show the designer clowns wouldn't qualify but in the fish hobby anything out of the ordinary is extraordinary ...

Edited by Fishie

• 3 weeks later...

I live inin the Winchester,va area, and although there are a couple of places that I could get live stock here, I have made Blue ribbon Koi my goto place, I have not had an issue with anything I have gotten from john..And no John did not pay me to say this..LOL