I need help don't understand

morgan175

That would be quite a shock to many of the more delicate SPS. In a given week, alkalinity should only fluctuate 1/3 of a dkh in a "stable" system.

I agree it was a risk but I took that chance. My most delicate, strawberry shortcake, came through fine.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also- the types of sps you choose in the initial process can determine your success. it really seems that as long as there are 'precursor' species , then others will do well. just like certain corals will only grow on if theres a certain type of coralline algae on the growing surface. One of those corals looked like a ponape bidsnest- this is not a beginner coral. maybe try montiporas first, then introduce more of the delicate species after you've been actually growing the montiporas. stable water chemistry is going to be your number one most desired quality of the tank. chase that. weekly testing, recording, and calculating the alk and ca demand should be your next project. regularly scheduled water changes go a long way to achieving this goal. do not dose unless you can prove that you need it.

also- the types of sps you choose in the initial process can determine your success. it really seems that as long as there are 'precursor' species , then others will do well. just like certain corals will only grow on if theres a certain type of coralline algae on the growing surface. One of those corals looked like a ponape bidsnest- this is not a beginner coral. maybe try montiporas first, then introduce more of the delicate species after you've been actually growing the montiporas. stable water chemistry is going to be your number one most desired quality of the tank. chase that. weekly testing, recording, and calculating the alk and ca demand should be your next project. regularly scheduled water changes go a long way to achieving this goal. do not dose unless you can prove that you need it.

My montipora are growing nuts in my tank. I have over a month of numbers to show the fluctuation in numbers from everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Rob.

Has anyone tried to pre-coat a frag plug with coralline algae before attaching an SPS frag? I wonder if it would speed growth and healing of the fresh cut frag.

That's a pretty hot temp to run

Why do you think that 77.6 to 78.9 is "pretty hot"? It seems ideal, if not a little low for me. My reefs would always swing daily between 80 and 83 this time of the year.

Since a lot of good ideas have been exhausted, I'll put out a contrarian point of view to consider.

Stop doing water changes and stop dosing entirely...for a little while...maybe a 2-3 weeks. Let the system achieve stability on it's own and don't be an undue influence. Your parameters as stated were ok. However, a water change by it's very nature is going to change your parameters...many of those changes for the good...but it's going to change. SPS like stability, so give them stability for a bit and let things ride. Some coral will stop growing and the STN may or may not continue....but the stability of that situation means the corals will see only the parameter changes that they collectively influence. Note, I wouldn't necessarily say this is a good idea in an SPS packed tank...but you have a lot of water volume for your current volume of stony corals.

Nobody likes to wait and nobody likes losses. Darwinism isn't easy to watch, but it's nature...and you may just see which of your corals are strong and likely to thrive in the long term. But if all your coral die that would suck...so keep monitoring and wade in if you see dangerous lows to Alk. Also, a lower temp and a couple days of darkness may slow the corals metabolic rate...I'll let more knowledgable folks weigh in on if that would be beneficial in this case.

How are your frags today? 

my pink tabling colony continue to go down hill. At this point I just considered it as a loss and moved on....

two days ago:

RTN

I trimmed off all the dead area but it still continue to loss more tissue.

RTN2

This is one that has STN (I have a few with STN and some recovered well)

STN

Today's numbers

Temp 77

Alk 7.896 Hanna

Cal 350 salifert

Mag 1320

I will add nothing today. Tomorrow check back with me. Ph test have seachem not the best 8.1.

I did unhook skimmer and even took filter sock off.

Thanks to all who have commented so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Well since I have turned skimmer off and did nothing it looks like no other pieces were affected. I have hooked a doser to the tank and keeping steady numbers. Soon Marco will have a couple fish for me and am excited. The next issue is my purples and blues are not that color anymore. What do I need to do.