how many are there?

treesprite

I'm wondering how many reef aquarists there are in our area who do not belong to clubs. Plus how successful they tend to be compared to people who belong to clubs

I have asked some people that I didn't know, imagine that!, at quantum and incredible corals if they were in wamas or had heard of it...a few people read the boards without ever becoming members but some people just seem to not want to be in a club...

I know from past experience that some clubs are very...impersonal.....unless you are already friends with some of the people...

My guess is that the majority of hobbyist do not belong to a club. Can you imagine any LFS (except for maybe the smallest of operations) only counting on sells from WAMAS? They'd go out of business fast, I would think!

I've talked to them all and it's only 113 people.

Chip I thought it was 112?....darn I missed one!

I don't belong to anything, but I am also not in your area.  Well the North East area of the US, but I am not sure if that counts.  I fly over your area occasionally and I spoke at one of your meetings.  I like it there and had a nice dinner.  But still, not exactly in your area.  But I certainly don't belong to amything.  I am sort of a loner when it comes to fish.  I don't even belong to the clubs here on Long Island.  They really don't appreciate my use of an undergravel filter or the fact that I put mud in my tank from the sea.  They probably also don't like bald people, but I have gone to some of their meetings and they are nice people.  I go incognito so they don't stone me.  :wacko:

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the first time I visited the site, I got hit with the URL redirect hack. So I assumed WAMAS had been shut down and the domain had expired. It was months later before I clicked on a link by happenstance and discovered WAMAS was in fact still alive and kicking. 

I've sold stuff on craigslist a few times and always push wamas. No one I've sold to has ever heard of wamas

That's how we found out about wamas, bought a couple of things on craigslist and they told us about it.

I'll tell you what was making me wonder about how successful non-affiliated hobbyists are as a group compared to people who belong to clubs as a group. I had a saltwater tank for 10 years before joining WAMAS, but learned more in my first 6 months here than I learned over that entire 10 years alone.