Planning to get back into hobby

(edited)

Hi all,

I had a nano reef for a year in college (plus multiple freshwater tanks throughout the years) but I had to part with it because of the inherent instability of breaking it down for winter/summer breaks. And then after college I spent several years in short term rentals, but I have my own place now and I think it's time to get back into the game. It's a small condo in Logan (NW D.C.) and I'm mostly car-less these days, which will present its own set of challenges... But no one gets into this hobby because it's easy!

I'm looking at probably no more than 50 gallons. Been keeping an eye on Craigslist but it's so... depressing.

In other news--- I think this site has been hacked. When I clicked on the homepage link from Google, I'm redirected to some spammy domain. Clicking on the forums sub-link from Google works, however. It probably uses some sort of cookie so that regular members don't suspect anything is wrong. If you want to verify, try opening a Google Chrome incognito window and searching from Google.

I'm a web developer professionally, so if the WAMAS webmaster wants any help, just ping me.

sGUXHC5.png

edited: typo

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

It does that to me as well when opened in google. When opened in internet explorer, no problems.

It's a common malware technique. Happened to me when I ran my own Wordpress blog. The redirection only happens under certain circumstances, in an effort to fool the site owner into thinking the site hasn't been hacked.

At first I assumed WAMAS had shut down, but I'm glad I persisted. Hopefully you guys aren't losing too many potential members from this hack.

I get the same issue every time i try to get on WAMAS...Im glad to know im not the only one..hopefully this can get fixed because its a little annoying

the redirect issue has been ongoing for a while. it's actively worked by tom/origami here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/63556-bad-redirect/

if you have some other insight you can offer that he has not covered, i'm sure we all and he would appreciate the permanent fix.

it occurs in all browsers from my own experience.

Edited by monkiboy

the redirect issue has been ongoing for a while. it's actively worked by tom/origami here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/63556-bad-redirect/

if you have some other insight you can offer that he has not covered, i'm sure we all and he would appreciate the permanent fix.

it occurs in all browsers from my own experience.

I received some more information today from another board administrator that might provide another thing that I've not  tried yet.... Cross your fingers.

BTW, this is more annoying than nefarious.

Welcome!

I have the same thing happen when I log in.

Look at the ForSale/ WTB/Free forum near the bottom for tanks. They pop up every now and then.

It only does it when I am at work. I hit the back button and it goes to the forum.  I always it had to do with the firewall there.  What is your prize fish going to be.  I made the mistake of looking at coral space versus the fish i really wanted and went to small.  No biggie because there are always bigger tanks later but i would size to the fish you really want.... and we all have that one fish.

Hi all,

@DuffyGeos -- Thanks. So much better than Craigslist. I went to the Leesburg outlets this weekend and randomly found a nearby LFS. They had a 25 gallon cube that was tempting, but it wasn't an AIO and I think fitting a sump underneath it would be awkward. My condo furniture layout probably calls for a traditional rectangle tank anyway.

@Keraxis -- I love mandarins, but I'd need to find one trained to eat prepared foods. I'm big on "personality" fish, I guess. I had true percs in college, and they were cool to watch, but I don't think I'm going to do clowns this time. Think I want a yellow clown goby... Maybe a reef-safe wrasse?

I also really want a group of sexy shrimp, but they're so small I'm afraid they'd be too hard to see in a normal nano, so I was thinking about having a pico dedicated to sexy shrimp and rock flower or mini-maxi (maxi-mini?) anemones.

Coral-wise, I like LPS.. duncans, elegance, torch... Maybe some rics, and I'd like to try SPS just to see how it goes. NO XENIA. Learned that the hard way. And no brown corals. Life's too short for brown corals!

I went to Marine Scene this afternoon and fell in love with some duncans. Would a duncans-only specimen tank be ridiculous? They're so neat... I'd probably get bored, but it'd be really pretty.

If you're looking for a 55, I'd think you won't have long to wait before something comes up on WAMAS.  The best thing is that you can buy a whole system from someone that has been serious about the hobby and I think that is a very good way to go.

A Duncan species tank would be pretty neat. I know you said you didn't want clowns, but they take to Duncan hosts well and there's a reason they're the most popular fish in the industry (very interactive, hardy, and long lived); I'm sure that sexy shrimp or other symbiotic glass shrimp would take to them well, too.

So if you really want a dragonet the smallest tank you will get away with is a 50.  It would have to be established for 6 months and you would want a refugium where pods can breed.  You will also want to set your rocks up so there are places for pods to breed so probably a stack of rocks in each corner where fish cant get behind.  Duncans are cool corals but you will probably want some movement also.  

@Keraxis Yep I've read that about mandarins. Don't worry, I wouldn't jump into anything. I'd only even consider getting a mandarin that I can observe eating prepared foods. Or buy from an LFS that would take him back if I couldn't train him. I work from home, so I could keep a pretty close eye on it. Have you ever kept one? I'm curious to hear experiences with the ORA mandarins that are supposedly raised on prepared food.

The duncans in the store had a lot of movement-- the tentacles swayed gently in the current. Or did you mean movement like a fish?

Other things I saw and really liked at Marine Scene:

- Blue spotted jawish: Beautiful, but with my luck he'd make his home under a rock on the backside of the tank and I'd never see him.

- Fairy wrasse.

- Favia. Green, I think?

- Maxi mini carpet: Pretty green and purple. But this particular one was not pretty enough to risk eating fish or stinging corals.

- Orange acans

- Galaxy coral: But read they're notorious stingers, probably not great for a small system.

- Something blue that looked sorta like Xenia. I forgot to ask about it. Might've been cloves or a pipe organ. Definitely don't want anything that spreads like Xenia though.

I don't believe ORA produces mandarins anymore (hobbyists simply would not pay the premium for captive bred vs wild caught.) That being said, the batches they released were notorious for not eating after shipment or being extremely finicky ova eaters that still couldn't compete in normal reef environments.

Some comments about your other choices: BSJs are awesome and interactive... They prefer to make a home in the front of the tank where they can keep an eye on the action - but they are expensive (expect $100-125) and WILL jump if a tight fitting lid isn't on the tank.

Galaxia... The tales about the sweeper tentacles are usually under represented. A baseball sized colony will easily send sweepers up to a foot long in your tank and they pack a nasty punch.

Maxi-mini carpets are probably the hardiest and easiest anemones to care for (along with rock flowers) they won't capture fish and healthy inverts know how to maneuver in or around them. Sexy shrimp LOVE to have host mini maxis.

Fairy wrasse is a great choice (again, assuming your tank is covered) for something in the 50g range. Stay away from the larger species like Solar, and keep them with other less aggressive fish. They are prone to being bullied. Not a fairy, but another good small tank wrasse are the possum wrasses.

Hope that helps :)

@BadCrab Thanks for the feedback! I'm still months away from stocking, but it's really fun for me to plan it out in my head.

I don't believe ORA produces mandarins anymore (hobbyists simply would not pay the premium for captive bred vs wild caught.)

Geez you leave a hobby for 10 years and they change stuff around on you.  :tongue:  

That being said, the batches they released were notorious for not eating after shipment or being extremely finicky ova eaters that still couldn't compete in normal reef environments

Ha. Figures.

I like mandarins enough to consider making it my only fish so it wouldn't have to compete with anything. But realistically, assuming I went with a 50g+ tank and had a refugium, we'd be well into 2015 before my tank was ready for one. We'll seeeeee. Right now it's feeling like a 'no' just because the 30gal size is more appealing to me. But I don't want to have regrets later on... I mean it's my FAVORITE fish.

I've decided I want a peaceful, relaxing tank. No bullies. So no damsels/clowns. On the fence about hermits. My blue ones were murderous, but my scarlets were pretty chill. Although I don't remember the scarlets doing much to help clean. #whycantwealljustgetalong

I find that (generally) the longer someone stays in the hobby the more they gravitate to an all snail CUC. All crabs (even micro hermits) are opportunistic feeders and if they have to climb over polyps to reach food they don't exactly tread lightly.

@Keraxis Yep I've read that about mandarins. Don't worry, I wouldn't jump into anything. I'd only even consider getting a mandarin that I can observe eating prepared foods. Or buy from an LFS that would take him back if I couldn't train him. I work from home, so I could keep a pretty close eye on it. Have you ever kept one? I'm curious to hear experiences with the ORA mandarins that are supposedly raised on prepared food.

The duncans in the store had a lot of movement-- the tentacles swayed gently in the current. Or did you mean movement like a fish?

Other things I saw and really liked at Marine Scene:

- Blue spotted jawish: Beautiful, but with my luck he'd make his home under a rock on the backside of the tank and I'd never see him.

- Fairy wrasse.

- Favia. Green, I think?

- Maxi mini carpet: Pretty green and purple. But this particular one was not pretty enough to risk eating fish or stinging corals.

- Orange acans

- Galaxy coral: But read they're notorious stingers, probably not great for a small system.

- Something blue that looked sorta like Xenia. I forgot to ask about it. Might've been cloves or a pipe organ. Definitely don't want anything that spreads like Xenia though.

Fairy wrasse is beautiful but they get big.  I think they can hit up to 5 inches.  I have favia in my tank and from what ive seen the tentacles are not that long.  Jaw fish are cool but you need a deep sand bed for them.  (i went with a blenny because of this)

Do a peacock mantis shrimp tank, live the dream!

I find that (generally) the longer someone stays in the hobby the more they gravitate to an all snail CUC. All crabs (even micro hermits) are opportunistic feeders and if they have to climb over polyps to reach food they don't exactly tread lightly.

I read about royal urchins on advanced aquarist blog, gave them a try, and wow they are effective algae grazers. One does the work of probably 10 snails. They are immune to predation, at least in my tank of many wrasses and other invert hunting fish. After having these, I'll never buy snails again.

Royal Urchins eat coraline algae though.  So its not for everyone.

Ha ha I know I said peaceful, but I'm OK with animals that 'bully' coralline algae. Especially on glass.

I think I remember reading that urchins can actually help spread coralline algae, because they scrape bits of it off as they're eating it, and it propagates it around the tank.