Does anyone sanitize their RO/DI System?

Orion

I ran across a few posts on a couple of other forums recommending that your RO/DI system be sanitized with a diluted bleach/water mix at least once a year.  Does anyone do this?

BRS emailed me back...

Hey There,

Great Question! While it will depend on your water source and the amount of water through the unit on a daily bases, some people will need to sanitize their units. Most of the time we recommend a solution that can be found at most hardware stores called RO sanitizing solution. It would be good practice to do it once a year as a precaution. If you have any other questions, let us know! Thanks!

Jason

Interesting...I wonder if its because calcium and some other things can build up inside? I've never had a problem..but then again my unit is still less than 2 yrs old...

Nope. Never have, not because I don't believe in it, but because I've never heard of doing it. Be careful about running arbitrary concentrated chemicals through an RO membrane as some chemicals can be detrimental to the membrane, ruining it or shortening its life.

Nope. Never have, not because I don't believe in it, but because I've never heard of doing it. Be careful about running arbitrary concentrated chemicals through an RO membrane as some chemicals can be detrimental to the membrane, ruining it or shortening its life.

That's what I am thinking. Although I did find some instructions from Buckeye Field Supply saying to run the system without membranes, carbon blocks, sediment filters, and DI resin with a diluted bleach solution then flush with tap water for 30 minutes.

I would think that this would apply more if you were actually using these systems to drink water from....

That's what I am thinking. Although I did find some instructions from Buckeye Field Supply saying to run the system without membranes, carbon blocks, sediment filters, and DI resin with a diluted bleach solution then flush with tap water for 30 minutes.

I would think that this would apply more if you were actually using these systems to drink water from....

This is really the only way that makes any sense, if  at all. I can see stuff getting built up in the JG fittings and the tubing as my water leaves weird black stuff on my showerheads and faucets. The membranes, filters, etc are there to soak up that gunk, so running chemicals through them, will best case scenario, just get more gunk stuck in them and require you to replace quicker or worst case, just damage the filtration properties.

Not that i read this anywhere but when changing my filters out ill take my ro membrane out, my DI out if they are not exhausted and I put them in a bucket of ro so they wont dry out. Fill the first stage with vinegar and turn the water on until the last stage is filled up then let it soak for a couple hours. run it for 30 or so minutes then start putting my filters back in one at a time and run it to flush each one out a few minutes at a time until all are placed back in for service. Takes forever but I feel good about it when im done

The DI unit at my job goes through a quarterly decontamination.

Thanks for posting this as I've never heard of it as well. I can see the benefit (even slight) but doubt I will ever do it since it would take way too much time for an arguable gain.

The DI unit at my job goes through a quarterly decontamination.

Interesting, can you describe the process and materials used?

Interesting, can you describe the process and materials used?

Sure! I should note that quarterly is the minimum. The unit can go through the decontamination process upwards of every month pending overall usage.

When it's time to replace the cartridges and membranes, we empty out the content in the tank and tubes by cutting off the water source and draining. Next we remove the cartridges and membranes and place a tablet ( I believe chronic tetraglycine) into the main reservoir tank and turn on the water again. The content circulates for 15 minutes or so. Afterwards, we flush the unit out for another 10 minutes with water and then replace filters.

I should note that the unit is lab grade and has other antimicrobial devices such as UV lamps built in.

I used to bleach mine during membrane changes.  It was well water and would develop a red slimy film all over the interior.  I'd take out all the cartridges as well, drop an oz of bleach in the first stage, run it until it was full and let it sit for a couple hours, run it until I couldn't smell the bleach, and then replace everything.  I'm sure it didn't actually sterilize anything since it was all the same water supply, but it cleaned out the slime.