Crob5965 tank upgrade 125 gal

Ya know I was thinking. It may be worth paying the extra money to have artfully acrylic make your sump into a efficient convenience machine. It's hard to get my hands in my 55. Plus you could squeeze a giant sump in there and get every inch you want, every chamber you want custom.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about how you're going to handle the move of your existing tank so that you can put your new tank in it's place? I will eventually have the same problem..Wondering what you've thought of..Good luck w/ the build!

Have you thought about how you're going to handle the move of your existing tank so that you can put your new tank in it's place? I will eventually have the same problem..Wondering what you've thought of..Good luck w/ the build!

yeah I'm planning on draining the water out of my 90 and sliding it into the corner of the room about 4' away  and filling it back up ,then building the stand  for the 125, I will have both setups running in my dining room for a couple of weeks until the 125 is settled and then I will break down the 90.

my wife does not know this as of yet but it's going to happen lol

my wife does not know this as of yet but it's going to happen lol

I'm sure she will be delighted! I've always found that my significant other has loved two tanks one room...

Is he kidding...?

8adurate.jpg

mezehamy.jpg

Just got my overflow in the mail

Looks good rated for 2400gph apparently

Although I've been playing with the idea of a coast to coast with bean animal overflow

Any thoughts

I'm sure she will be delighted! I've always found that my significant other has loved two tanks one room...

Is he kidding...?

the trick is to do what you want and ask for forgiveness later, it's the balance of mad but not mad enough to leave.

although when she finds out about the Reef e scape 110gal impulse buy I am probably going to be in the dog house lol, I am now up to 7 aquariums floating around the house, I promised my wife 18 months ago when we moved here that we would only have 1.

Hahahahhaahah

and yes...my husband and I firmly believe about 'mentioning' things in the middle of conversations that have nothing to do with what we are talking about Lol.A while agoI told him I was getting a new ato tank done by Adam when we were grocery shopping,lol

• 5 weeks later...

Quick update on the tank build, so far it's still sitting in my garage with the 90 in the way, I just picked up a 40B at Petco today that will be used as a frag tank/ return tank, I was originally looking for a 55/75gal for the sump but I think I'm just going to use the 90gal seeing as it is not drilled for all my filtration and equipment and have it drain into the 40B frag tank and return to the DT from there.

any thoughts/opinions on this Idea?

I have just under 9' of room wall to wall that I plan on building an oversized stand around 36-40" tall to give myself plenty of room to work.

do you think I will need to add baffles to one end of the 40B to prevent micro bubbles when draining from the 90? or is there another way 

also anyone have any ideas on how to make this work seeing as I am already using the 90 which is filled with about 100+lbs of LR and Coral?

The emergency and secondary are at the same height. The full siphon is 1/8 inch lower. You can keep them all even though as it doesn't matter. What matters is that the full siphon pvc sits just a little lower in the overflow box so it starts first when the pump is turned on.

does your 2nd drain have much flow or is it just as a backup?

reason I ask is I'm thinking of having the 2nd line go into the fuge, if this does not work, do you have any other ideas on how to accomplish this?

I may just not add a fuge to this tank and go GFO instead, although I am a big fan of refugiums and would like to incorporate one into this build again if possible.

Thanks for all your help and I promise I will start working on this any day now, it's taking up way too much room in my garage 

(edited)

You can get as much flow through your fuge as you want using the gate valve, but then you put less flow through your skimmer and or media areas, so kinda a pro/con to both setup ideas. How about just split off your return to a manifold and send that to the fuge and either gravity feed back or pump back.

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

I was thinking of a manifold, but wasnt sure if it would mess with things, I remember you saying that the line needs to be submerged so I wasnt sure if splitting the main line would have any adverse effects. 

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, I bought a bunch of plumbing parts this weekend, I think I have everything I need, the gate valves I have are enormous and will probably have them connected in the stand rather than some pictures I have seen where they are behind the DT, just because it will be easier for me to access.

well after a 45min conversation with a buddy of mine who threatened to beat me with a shoe, I think I am going to scrub the frag tank idea for now and use my newly acquired 40B as my sump instead of the 90gal sump idea and add another 40B later on if I feel the need to have it.

I guess having more water volume in my stand than my DT may be a tad overkill  

for the record I still think that it was a great idea!!!

(edited)

I was thinking of a manifold, but wasnt sure if it would mess with things, I remember you saying that the line needs to be submerged so I wasnt sure if splitting the main line would have any adverse effects.

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, I bought a bunch of plumbing parts this weekend, I think I have everything I need, the gate valves I have are enormous and will probably have them connected in the stand rather than some pictures I have seen where they are behind the DT, just because it will be easier for me to access.

Submerging the line is mainly to keep it quiet and splashless.

My gate valve is pretty small. Well at least compared to the ball valves. Good luck on either direction you take it.

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

just picked up an AVAST CS1 with Swabbie, for my new tank, yes that's right I spent more money on equipment for a tank that I have done absolutely with for almost 2 months. dont judge me I have a plan.

she's caught on to the coral cost's more than $20 game (Thanks for showing her a Scoly Richard)

luckily for me I picked up this awesome skimmer for "$40" she was impressed.

I just bought myself a few weeks until the bank statement comes 

just picked up an AVAST CS1 with Swabbie, for my new tank, yes that's right I spent more money on equipment for a tank that I have done absolutely with for almost 2 months. dont judge me I have a plan.

she's caught on to the coral cost's more than $20 game (Thanks for showing her a Scoly Richard)

luckily for me I picked up this awesome skimmer for "$40" she was impressed.

I just bought myself a few weeks until the bank statement comes

Thanks for the laugh today!

So sounds like your drilling a bean animal setup. I love mine on my 150. Dead silent and fail safe.

Also the flow on the WP25 is a bit narrow and direct and may not work as well in a 6ft tank to cover area. So look towards getting a WP40 or WP60.

going to start drilling today, just noticed that my overflow has a lot less height than yours, it's 18 long but only 5" x 5" I was planning on having the overflow snug with the top of the tank, but the plastic trim piece is in the way and the Overflow is too shallow, I think bringing it down 1" should give me plenty of room for plumbing, if not I guess i'll just have to get a new overflow ; )

going to start drilling today, just noticed that my overflow has a lot less height than yours, it's 18 long but only 5" x 5" I was planning on having the overflow snug with the top of the tank, but the plastic trim piece is in the way and the Overflow is too shallow, I think bringing it down 1" should give me plenty of room for plumbing, if not I guess i'll just have to get a new overflow ; )

Yeah my overflow is huge lol. Hard to move around a lot up and down with out losing tank volume and then you see the top water line if you go to far down. Tricky business right there.

I ended up cutting a little if the trim piece at the back of the tank to get the bulk head higher

I will post pictures later