Small rocks for zoas, etc?

makai531

So I now have three zoa frags mounted on plugs on my sand bed. Wanted to mount then to small rocks for aesthetics and space for them to grow. Looking for something flatish/convex about 2-3.5 inch dia. Any ideas on where to get something like that? My rock and rubble is reef saver and filled with holes and not appropriate. Can I make something like that out of quikcrete? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use your rock, it will work really well, even with all the holes. The zoas will fill in the spaces and help it look really natural. 

I was using some type of pre made dome and i found that after a while the zoas did not grow well on them. I switched my entire collection off of the domes and onto live rock rubble. 

Use your rock, it will work really well, even with all the holes. The zoas will fill in the spaces and help it look really natural.

I was using some type of pre made dome and i found that after a while the zoas did not grow well on them. I switched my entire collection off of the domes and onto live rock rubble.

+1 use your rock. With some time, you'll love it.

Out of curiosity. Will it cover the holes or grow into them? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they will do both.

Okay trust you guys! Time to get out the chisel and dremel and turn some softballs into discs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like using the pieces of rubble with little holes in them, because in my head I believe it makes it easier for glued-on zoas to maintain a grip to the surface. Could be wrong. It definately helps with mushrooms.

You could use empty snail shells. I have done that a lot on the past (actually, some living snails too, but the snails let their shells poke out of the water too much... end of zoas).

Since I started a frag tank recently, I too have been looking for things to attach zoas, etc to. I go to the beach alot.  I have been picking up shell pieces that I glue together to look like "frag plugs"  I try to get shell pieces that are porous and have lots of holes in them.

Are there any reasons why using shell, etc from the beach may not be a good idea ?