I'm nearly convinced about T5's...

YHSublime

So I want to add some supplemental lighting with t5's down the side of my canopy outside the Radions. I know that there are reefers around that retro-fit their canopies to add in just ballasts and reflectors, but do I have that all correct? Looking for a little bit of guidance, and maybe even hear from a voice of experience who's done this before. I presume it's pretty simple, but have limited knowledge.

I would like to add at least 2 bulbs in the front, and 2 in the back on both sides of the canopy, and hopefully that will wedge my radions right about down the center. This would be a total of 8 bulbs (I'm thinking the 36" bulbs) and I'm not sure what color combo I would like to do yet.

I will measure tonight, I may only have room for 4 total, but I think if I was doing a DIY, I could squeeze 8 in there.

Annnnd, go!

Why add T5's? Are you just trying to get more coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like where you are going with this, looking forward to the final look. Makes me really want to try doing it with our lights, just the opposite getting leds into our t5 fixture.

Why add T5's? Are you just trying to get more coverage?

I have been really looking into what it looks like, and my favorite tanks are those that have T5's and LEDs. I like the look, and I think it will give me more coverage and a nicer look at way cheaper than what 1 more radion will cost :)

I like where you are going with this, looking forward to the final look. Makes me really want to try doing it with our lights, just the opposite getting leds into our t5 fixture.

I hope to see it through, sometimes these big ideas happen and it takes me months to pull them together!

Add the reflectors and the water proof end connectors to the canopy. I'd put the ballast either under the cabinet or in a dryer area, not in the canopy itself. Pick a decent reflector and clean them periodically.

I added 2 t5 to my LEDs last week and loving it. The t5s fill all the gaps and make the tank much brighter. I added 2 purple Fiji front and back and really loving the color now.

I added 2 t5 to my LEDs last week and loving it. The t5s fill all the gaps and make the tank much brighter. I added 2 purple Fiji front and back and really loving the color now.

Pictures? Before and after.

Add the reflectors and the water proof end connectors to the canopy. I'd put the ballast either under the cabinet or in a dryer area, not in the canopy itself. Pick a decent reflector and clean them periodically.

Thanks, Tom, that seems simple enough. I think it's pretty easy now that I've started googling around. I think I can make it look pretty clean as well. Any recommendations for good places to order the water proof end connectors?

I bet it's nice, I'd love to see a picture if you have one! I think I can easily add the 8 bulbs that I would like to do. Where did you get your waterproof connectors? Ballast? What are you using for reflectors? I might just be able to cover up the top of my hood.

Thanks, Tom, that seems simple enough. I think it's pretty easy now that I've started googling around. I think I can make it look pretty clean as well. Any recommendations for good places to order the water proof end connectors?

I bet it's nice, I'd love to see a picture if you have one! I think I can easily add the 8 bulbs that I would like to do. Where did you get your waterproof connectors? Ballast? What are you using for reflectors? I might just be able to cover up the top of my

Copy Cat Isaac ?

Try ATI Blue Plus + KZ Fiji Purple or (G) Atintic +

4 lamps, so 8 water proof end caps, right?

Premium Aquatics carries the end caps and lamps. They're a sponsor, of course. Reflectors, too.

Reefgeek.com is another source. I've used them for lamps in the past because it was easy to get free shipping.

I got everything from reefgeek.com. I got ati ballast and Miro-4 reflector and really like it. I had them put together and ready to go in less than 1hr. They also have a full diy kit that includes ati ballast, miro reflector, waterproof caps and wires for a good price. Check them out.

By the way, make sure that you get bulb clips with the reflectors or that they come with them. Also, if you run a ground wire along each reflector, it'll drain the induced voltage off of the reflector which can, at times, give you a mild electrical tingle if you brush up against them with your hand in the tank.

Im glad you posted this. I have been curious what to do on my 300. Going to follow this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Im glad you posted this. I have been curious what to do on my 300. Going to follow this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have the perfect fixture for you project 300

(edited)

I recently replaced my lights with KZ Bulbs and the KZ superblue is amazing.

Edited by epleeds

When I get a chance to get back to it, I'm plannig to light my 120g with two led fixtures and then run a 48" T5HO bulb in the front and back. Probably use a Purple+ and Blue+ given the led spectrum of the units I'm considering...but for viewing I prefer a Coral+ and Blue+ combo for two bulbs.

Yes, get good reflectors and reflector bulb clips. I have metal clips on my current T5 setup and they have rusted pretty bad. They make plastic ones too...not sure if those hold up worse/better, but they won't rust. Try to see what kind of output the reflectors have. Some focus down, some produce spread....just like LED lenses or metal halide reflectors.

I have sunlight supply retros...two 2-bulb setups. The metal housing protects the ballast, but if you have a long enough harness a remotely stored ballast is probably better.

Be careful not to pack the bulbs in too tight with your radions. T5 produce some heat, though not as much as halides. I leave the top off my canopy all the same. You wouldn't want the T5 heat to reduce the life of your radions.

Those are my thoughts...hope it helps.

So I want to add some supplemental lighting with t5's down the side of my canopy outside the Radions. I know that there are reefers around that retro-fit their canopies to add in just ballasts and reflectors, but do I have that all correct? Looking for a little bit of guidance, and maybe even hear from a voice of experience who's done this before. I presume it's pretty simple, but have limited knowledge.

I would like to add at least 2 bulbs in the front, and 2 in the back on both sides of the canopy, and hopefully that will wedge my radions right about down the center. This would be a total of 8 bulbs (I'm thinking the 36" bulbs) and I'm not sure what color combo I would like to do yet.

I will measure tonight, I may only have room for 4 total, but I think if I was doing a DIY, I could squeeze 8 in there.

Annnnd, go!

Depending on the size, I have 2 reflectors that you are welcome to.  If you're interested, I'll send you the measurements.  :)

Copy Cat Isaac ?

Sure, I'm obviously not the first person to do it....

4 lamps, so 8 water proof end caps, right?

Premium Aquatics carries the end caps and lamps. They're a sponsor, of course. Reflectors, too.

Reefgeek.com is another source. I've used them for lamps in the past because it was easy to get free shipping.

That's great, thanks for sharing!

I got everything from reefgeek.com. I got ati ballast and Miro-4 reflector and really like it. I had them put together and ready to go in less than 1hr. They also have a full diy kit that includes ati ballast, miro reflector, waterproof caps and wires for a good price. Check them out.

Awesome, those DIY kits are tempting... thanks for the share.

By the way, make sure that you get bulb clips with the reflectors or that they come with them. Also, if you run a ground wire along each reflector, it'll drain the induced voltage off of the reflector which can, at times, give you a mild electrical tingle if you brush up against them with your hand in the tank.

mmmm, mild electric tingle.

I have been seeing more and more pictures, it's obviously the supreme way to go!

Thanks for that, I forgot about that piece!

I think adding t5's a great idea!

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a bad one! It seems like it will be easier than I thought!

When I get a chance to get back to it, I'm plannig to light my 120g with two led fixtures and then run a 48" T5HO bulb in the front and back. Probably use a Purple+ and Blue+ given the led spectrum of the units I'm considering...but for viewing I prefer a Coral+ and Blue+ combo for two bulbs.

Yes, get good reflectors and reflector bulb clips. I have metal clips on my current T5 setup and they have rusted pretty bad. They make plastic ones too...not sure if those hold up worse/better, but they won't rust. Try to see what kind of output the reflectors have. Some focus down, some produce spread....just like LED lenses or metal halide reflectors.

I have sunlight supply retros...two 2-bulb setups. The metal housing protects the ballast, but if you have a long enough harness a remotely stored ballast is probably better.

Be careful not to pack the bulbs in too tight with your radions. T5 produce some heat, though not as much as halides. I leave the top off my canopy all the same. You wouldn't want the T5 heat to reduce the life of your radions.

Those are my thoughts...hope it helps.

Thanks for your thoughts, it was helpful. I think 4 bulbs will be the way to go, although I'd like to try for 8. I could also put a fan in my hood, I'm not opposed to chopping it on the sides and putting in a push and pull.

Depending on the size, I have 2 reflectors that you are welcome to.  If you're interested, I'll send you the measurements.  :)

I think those reflectors are going to be way to small (they are for MH bulbs, right?) Thanks for thinking of me!

Here you go!

Before & After

WOW. Another picture that says "DO IT!" Amazing tank though, I hope to catch up with you!

Cool. Following along since I could use more light in the front and back. 

Let me know if you need help putting it together. I'd love to help / learn.