Aquarium Myths Exposed. ~ Good read.

Jan

The concluding paragraph bears good consideration. In a nutshell, if you can't afford to - or won't - do it right, consider not doing it at all or at least respect the lives of the animals enough to wait until you can do it right. ... So learn how to be better aquarists and how to do it right.

One thing I'll add: Do it right, and this hobby becomes many, many times more enjoyable - for you, and for all of those that share even peripherally in that enjoyment - and helps the industry overall.

The article says "tons of yellow tang deaths in transit". "Tons" doesn't say much but I think it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask how many fish die in transit per live fish that gets sold to our tanks.

dark-hobby1.jpg

^^That picture is very sad. It's part of a story from 2010 or so when a bunch of tangs were found in a dumpster in Hawaii.

^^That picture is very sad. It's part of a story from 2010 or so when a bunch of tangs were found in a dumpster in Hawaii.

Was curious about that. Found more here.

I gotta agree with zygote2k. I was expecting a factual (aka mythbusting) explanation regarding tank size and fish growth and instead got accused of being a horrible aquarist by keeping a tang in my 65g.

I think the author has a point, but his rant was so poorly worded and tedious to read that I found myself going through it at 50 miles per hour just to get it over with.  

While I agree that hobbyists can use more education, I also find that some fish stores have a callous attitude about what sells versus what should be kept.  Their profit margins are being squeezed by the internet discounters and I think many of them see fish as disposable.  Get the pretty ones regardless of whether they should be kept in normal sized tanks,  Hook the new aquarium owner with expensive setups that they don't need, and keep selling fish until the frustrated hobbyist gives up the hobby in a year.  Or soon the fish store itself will be out of business.

By the way, the local saltwater shops that specialize in quality service are the complete opposite of the local fish store I describe above.